Why become a member? ×

Switch to pedal board or stay with a full rack system...

DawnPatrol1990

Hey guys and girls.

I've just changed the head i'm using from an Ampeg B2RE to a Hartke HA3500 which has come as the full head unit type (so it has the wooden box around it).

This has led me to think about whether i should change to a pedal board and ditch my rack unit or stay with everything rack mounted.

My current chain is Bass (BC Rich/Jackson/Tobias basses) in to a Line 6 G90 wireless -> Korg DTR1000 tuner -> Alesis Midiverb II (for chorus) -> Sansamp RBI -> Hartke HA3500 (obviously it was an Ampeg B2RE until recently). All of this is powered by a Samson PB10Pro Powerbrite Rack Conditioner.

After looking around, I've seen that i could easily just swap my gear for the items as follows -

Samson Powerbrite - Dunlop DC Brick
Line 6 G90 - Line 6 G50
Korg DTR1000 - Korg Pitchblack Pedal (I already own one too)
Alesis Midiverb II - MXR Bass Chorus
Sansamp RBI - Sansamp Deluxe DI/Darkglass B7K

then send it all out to the HA3500 in the head unit which powers my 4 cabinets (2 x 4x10 and 2 x 1x15 Ampeg SVT cabs) and i should mention that i have a small foot set out front which is a 3 way selector to activate/de-activate my Sansamp & Alesis as well as a Tuner Mute. If I started using a pedal board, i'd probably add my Wah pedal to the board too.

It's not like i have mobility issues with the rack case as it's all in a Gator roller case that has handles and wheels like a luggage case. I'm just having a case of gear boredom at the moment and don't know what to do...

Any advice/ opinions on this would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers
SJD!

Edited by DawnPatrol1990

One advantage if you went pedalboard would be for using someone else's rig or provided back line should the occasion arise, then you just take your basses & smallish pedalboard.

Also the sans amp deluxe model has a an effects loop which you can assign for your chorus, so just one stomp to change :)