Why become a member? ×

Fender AVRI 74 Jazz neck profile

Misdee

I'm seriously interested in buying one of these basses, but I am very unlikely to be able to try one out, and will have to buy sight unseen. Is there anyone who has one of these basses, or even just had a go on one who can tell me just how chunky the "U" profile neck feels compared to a typical Jazz Bass. My current Jazz Bass is a 2012 American Standard with the Modern "C" profile, and that to me is already a bit on the chunky side compared to a typical 1960's era Jazz neck. I am not necessarily averse to a slightly bigger neck, but I haven't got the biggest hands and there is a limit to what I can comfortably cope with.

Any other thoughts, observations or indeed recommendations about this particular model would be very gratefully received.

Cheers

It's noticeably deeper than a modern Jazz, but really comfortable. It's my favourite Fender Jazz I've ever played, if only they did a 5 string. There's a Sunburst one in Red Dog Music in Edinburgh that has caught my eye, but I almost exclusively use 5 strings now. If you buy it online you have 2 weeks to try it and return it if it doesn't work out.

• 3 weeks later...

Cant speak for the re-issue, but I do have an actual 75 bass with a U neck and I love it.

Nut width is the same 1.5" but the profile makes the neck feel much more substantial in your hands, more 'round' feeling to me, if that helps..

My main Bass for most of my playing life was a '78 Precision, so when I decided I wanted a Jazz this was the type of neck I knew would feel good for me.

If you like the look of the 70's Jazz, but are concerned about the U neck, something which may be worth consideration is the older '75 reissue, these had a C neck and may be more like you're used to..

HTH.

I agree with Lewis. The 74 RI is quite a deep U shape. Deeper and more chunky than my 2010 US Standard for example.

I have 75 Reissue and it has the nicest possible neck if you like them slim. I love mine.

I'd go for a 75 RI over a 74 RI based on your preference for a slimmer neck.

Frank.