Why become a member? ×

Elbow Day Like This strings harmonies

OldGit

The strings at the start of Elbow's Day like this evoke a strong feeling of melencoli in me and various other people I have asked.
I am guessing it's the harmonies they are using. So ... can anyone suggest what the harmonies on it are and maybe how the feelings are evoked by them?
think it must be more than just A minor or whatever ...

Here's the video
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SQIdXKz4sE8"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SQIdXKz4sE8[/url]

Its odd they sounded kind of hopeful to me.

FWIW
If you want really melancholic sounding strings then I would say Eleanor Rigby is the song to go for. I guess it is not just the minor sound and the harmonies but also the cadence as well as the tone of Sir Pauls voice and of course the message of the lyrics (no redemption in this life or the next), which all combine to to wipe the smile off my face on even my most cheery days.

oh and now the sun has gone in.
:)

I reckon its the colour of the strings that you are reacting to. The harmonies during the opening are diatonic and the voicings are in unison. The fact is that the tone/timbre of something can have a massive effect on its emotional content. If it sounds beautiful, it is beautiful.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='293026' date='Sep 26 2008, 07:32 PM']I reckon its the colour of the strings that you are reacting to. The harmonies during the opening are diatonic and the voicings are in unison. The fact is that the tone/timbre of something can have a massive effect on its emotional content. If it sounds beautiful, it is beautiful.[/quote]

Yes, quite possibly.
Cello's always get to me too ...

• 4 weeks later...