Why become a member? ×

Small Power Amp Bass Rig (advise)

Lowendlove

Hi all, looking for someone with greater knowledge or experience. Basically i've got a markbass 2x10 traveler cab 102p. All specs say 400w RMS (it's the 8ohm version).

I'd like to get a P.A power amp to drive it, will this do?

[url="https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/amplifier/jb-systems-amp-200-2-2x200w-rms-4-ohm-amplifier?gclid=Cj0KEQiAjpGyBRDgrtLqzbHayb8BEiQANZauh0v5SaBa3mZlVmLXMbAL_YNJxir3w3WAoLGUWmGF6YoaAr0M8P8HAQ#specs"]https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/amplifier/jb-systems-amp-200-2-2x200w-rms-4-ohm-amplifier?gclid=Cj0KEQiAjpGyBRDgrtLqzbHayb8BEiQANZauh0v5SaBa3mZlVmLXMbAL_YNJxir3w3WAoLGUWmGF6YoaAr0M8P8HAQ#specs[/url]

[list]
[*]power stereo 4 ohms: 2x 200 W
[*]power stereo 8 ohms: 2x 130 W
[*]power bridge 8 ohms: 1x 400 W
[/list]

will this amp in bridge mode work well for this set-up?

In advance thanks for any replies. Steve

In bridged mode that will certainly drive the cab, but (as many other threads here on Basschat explain) the number of Watts an amp is rated for is actually a very poor way of measuring how "loud" your rig will be.

Although that JB power amp claims 400W, and may even deliver it measurably, how "loud" it will make your bass depends on SO many other factors.

By way of comparison, one of my rigs uses a W-Audio Horizon amp very similar to the one you're looking at, only it's rated 1100W in bridged mode. I play through Barefaced cabs which are (by general agreement) very sensitive, i.e. loud. That 1100W doesn't sound anything like as loud as you might expect from the rating alone, and that amp is simply not as "loud" as when I use my Aguilar Tonehammer 350 which in theory only has one third the output.

If it's at all possible, I'd recommend trying that amp before you buy it. If you have no choice but to buy it unseen, then my advice would be to pass.

If you're anywhere near Acton, you're welcome to come and try my W-Audio and TH350 back to back, to see what I mean.

Guest bassman7755

If I were you with that sort of limited budget I'd looking at something like a 2nd hand QSC RMX (or PLX if you can stump up another £50 or so) e.g.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QSC-Audio-Amplifier-1450-RMX/262330202953?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D35391%26meid%3Dc7fa0654464f46c29e3262c0859476e4%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D281965020870"]this[/url] specs [url="http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_32620_QSC-RMX-1450.html"]here[/url]

This will most likely destroy that budget "disco" amp your looking for at for performance IMO and have plenty of power in reserve to drive an additional cab should the need every arise.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1458486876' post='3007955']
That 1100W doesn't sound anything like as loud as you might expect from the rating alone, and that amp is simply not as "loud" as when I use my Aguilar Tonehammer 350 which in theory only has one third the output.

[/quote]

Thanks for your input gentlemen. Very helpful replies.
I 'was' looking at a Markbass LM[size=4]III, and the Aguilar TH Amps (more money). but really like my sound how i have it now P-bass [font=arial, sans-serif]→Sansamp BDDI[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]→Mixer [/font][/size][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1][size=4]→Studio monitors.[/size]
[size=4]was hoping i could save some money, AND keep the sound i like.

So if your 'Happy Jack' 1100w amp isn't as loud as a TH350, A cheap disco amp at 400W (bridged) may not give me very much at all.[/size][/size][/font]