Why become a member? ×

Beatbacker in Germany

Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='290250' date='Sep 23 2008, 07:10 PM']Anyone ever bought anything from Beatbacker in Germany? They've got some interesting looking instruments.

Do those strings look a bit weird?[/quote]
I don't know about the strings, but that pickup looks odd - 6 sets of pole pieces, and much narrower than the strings. A guitar pickup maybe?

Thanks for the info everyone.

If the sixer is "OK for the price" I might keep my eye on that shop for future reference. Is it the fretted or fretless neck you're using? I wouldn't expect miracles given that the basses seem to be selling for about £100 including p&p.

Ah, phosphor bronze strings, I hadn't seen any strings looking quite that red on any of the very few acoustic basses I've seen in real life.

I'd agree that the seven string guitar looks nice. As do many of the instruments.

They do offer a money-back guarantee. But I'd guess a buyer would be out two lots of postage, which adds up.

Not that I'm planning to buy anything soon. But when buying cheap-*ss basses, is it safer to do so for fretless basses? As the quality of the frets and fret finishing seem to be one of the major problems with cheap basses. Though, I did come across someone posting somewhere where they'd bought a cheap fretless and were struggling with the setup to get that "mwah" sound on all strings.

The six string fretless has finished. But they still have this one:

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='290537' date='Sep 24 2008, 08:08 AM']Is it the fretted or fretless neck you're using?

Ah, phosphor bronze strings, I hadn't seen any strings looking quite that red on any of the very few acoustic basses I've seen in real life.[/quote]

It's fretted, and I guess they're OK, no sharp ends but the 24th fret looks like it might be lifting slightly. Will probably replace that one if it creates buzz.

As for the photo it could be anything, trick of the light, bad camera settings, someone's house missing some wiring? :) In any case strings can easily be replaced.