Why become a member? ×

Neck replacement for a Fleabass Street Model

jpdabass

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I recently bought this Fleabass for cheap and my idea was to do the emg pickup mod and give it a nice setup with fresh strings. That would be it.

However, I found it to have an exagerated concave bow as soon as I got the bass. Not unplayable, but unconfortable. So I gave the truss rod a few turns (not all at the same time!) to see what happened. It's much better now, imprpved a lot, but I want it to have a lower action. I suppose the truss is already pretty tightened up.

That's why I'm trying to collect some information regarding the possible neck replacements in case I need to do it.

If I'm aware it could get a really nice low action I wouldn't mind to perform the mod and spare some money for it. As I said, I got it fairly cheap.

Once again, thank you!
Take care,
JP

Thank you for your posts, first of all.

Ok, I will try to manually bend the neck, that's an option I haven't explored yet.

I guess that the lighter gauge strings will do their trick as well. Maybe the neck replacement won't be necessary, afterall.

This bass is not top notch, I already knew that when I bought it, but it's playable as it is, and I hope to get nice sounds from it. Need to level the expectations here.

Nevertheless, if anybody knows of a fellow bass player who has already made the neck swap, please let me know. I'm curious about what could fit.

Take care,
JP

Here is an article which may be of some help http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Truss_Rod_Installation_and_Repair/A_sign_of_truss_rod_trouble_and_an_easy_solution_.html. It's a very common problem with old Fender necks (running out of truss rod adjustment) and adding a washer or two can make a big difference! But as the previous poster has said, reducing string gauge will have a similar effect and hopefully buy yourself back some adjustment.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1457801914' post='3001940']
Wouldn't help if the neck is still too concave. If the truss rod is feeling stiff you could try helping the neck by bending it back as you tighten it. The lighter gauge strings is a good option too.
[/quote]

Woops, seemed to have missed that point, my bad. Ignore my post haha.