Why become a member? ×

Music lawyers.

Grassie

Mods; this might need to go in Off Topic - feel free to move it if you agree. :)

I have composed a couple of electronica EP's over the past year or so and have been offered a contract to release and promote these EP's by an independent label. They've sent me a contract and part of it reads:

[b][size=4][color=#000000]The Artiste acknowledges that the Artiste has been advised
by the Company to seek independent legal advice from a
lawyer with experience in the music industry with regard to
the terms of this Agreement.[/color][/size][/b]

So, with "The Artiste" being me, can anyone recommend a lawyer that fits the above description? I have no experience whatsoever with contracts of this type, and to ignore this advice doesn't sit well with me.

Cheers :)

Edited by Grassie

Every experience I've had with music lawyers has come through my MU membership - you got an hour free contract reading a year and then at a reduced rate, if I were you I'd get in touch with the MU and see what they recommend, they've always been very friendly and helpful with me

Three of the biggest music law firms Clintons, Harbottle & Lewis and Sheridans. The lady I used to know at Harbottle & Lewis seems to have either moved, or, highly probably, retired. Sheridans were the firm that I used the most, but for all three of these we are talking crazy money (probably £3-5,000 for a straightforward contract negotiation).

That sort of clause is not exclusive to the music industry and can be found in many sorts of contracts, including employment contracts. It's basically to protect the other party against any future claim that the artiste wasn't fully informed and knowledgable about what they were signing up to.

It's actually a good piece of advice because no one should sign any contract without fully understanding it and its possible ramifications.

Sounds to me as if the MU would be a good starting point.