Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

out of phase

[quote name='garry warrington' timestamp='1456941217' post='2993862']...How can i fix this?
[/quote]

Reverse the connection for one of the p/ups (The Creamery, as it's the last one in..?). Just switch 'em over and try it out again. 'P' p/ups are often louder, as they're fed by a great string movement. You could lower it a bit, or raise the jazz..? Up to a certain point you just have to live with it.
Hope this helps.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='garry warrington' timestamp='1456942867' post='2993880']
why reverse the Jazz pickup and not the P ? do u mean swap the hot for the earth on the pot?
[/quote]

It doesn't actually matter which one, as there's only two possibilities; they're in phase or they're not. Which ever is easiest to swap, but as you've just done the Jazz soldering, I'd have just swapped them over, unless there's a real problem, such as access or such.
Yes, it's simple with a 2-wire p/up, as there's only two joints to re-solder. A bit more tricky with 3- or 4-wire p/ups; I was assuming that's not your case, so... Don't over-think it, just swap 'em over and see if they work better like that. Let us know how you get on, please..?

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1456941475' post='2993866']
'P' p/ups are often louder, as they're fed by a great string movement.
[/quote]

Curiously (or perhaps not), loudness depends on the velocity of the string motion, not the displacement . But a greater string movement has to have a greater velocity, so it is sort of related.
End of physics lesson :unsure:

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1457021385' post='2994555']
Curiously (or perhaps not), loudness depends on the velocity of the string motion, not the displacement . But a greater string movement has to have a greater velocity, so it is sort of related.
End of physics lesson :unsure:
[/quote]

Possibly, probably, certainly, whatever... :lol: :P The p/up gives out less signal the further one gets from the mid-point. Almost over the bridge (or nut..?) one gets pretty well nowt. In passing, and for the same reasons, a p/up will give a progressively weaker signal the further up the neck one plays. Right at the end of the fingerboard, a neck p/up is not getting much at all..! Is that important, though..? I doubt it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dad3353

Yes guys, you advice was good. Swapped the cables around, the bass sounds great(the creamery pickup is excellent) both pickups together give a reall funky J bass vibe.

I may even change the stock precision style pickup to a better quality,maybe another creamery. He is local to me..

Thanks