Why become a member? ×

Bass weight.

JohnFitzgerald

I kept meaning to try out one of the Steinberger cricket bats to see if it will help my knackered spine, so I'd be interested to hear about any mods that make it more playable. That is surprisingly heavy for its size and shape though, isn't it?
I play a Precision Lyte now, which if I remember correctly is 7.4lbs, so about the same as the Steinberger, but it would be good to try something a little different.

[quote name='IainS' timestamp='1475092496' post='3143064']
I kept meaning to try out one of the Steinberger cricket bats to see if it will help my knackered spine, so I'd be interested to hear about any mods that make it more playable. That is surprisingly heavy for its size and shape though, isn't it?
I play a Precision Lyte now, which if I remember correctly is 7.4lbs, so about the same as the Steinberger, but it would be good to try something a little different.
[/quote]

I just weighed the Steinberger again on my fishing scales - it's a smidgen under 7lbs.

When I fit the strap extension I'll post some pics.

Frank.

[quote name='IainS' timestamp='1475092496' post='3143064']
[/quote]

I used to have a Steinberger Synapse which on the scales weighed exactly the same as a Fender P I had - both came in at 8.5ilbs.

However on the strap, you could definitely feel the Fender but the Synapse felt almost weightless - perfectly balanced I guess. Those Synapse's look a little fragile - until you get your hands on one & realise they are built like brick outhouses too!

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1475100911' post='3143150']

I just weighed the Steinberger again on my fishing scales - it's a smidgen under 7lbs.

When I fit the strap extension I'll post some pics.

Frank.
[/quote]
[quote name='Wilco' timestamp='1475105373' post='3143171']

I used to have a Steinberger Synapse which on the scales weighed exactly the same as a Fender P I had - both came in at 8.5ilbs.

However on the strap, you could definitely feel the Fender but the Synapse felt almost weightless - perfectly balanced I guess. Those Synapse's look a little fragile - until you get your hands on one & realise they are built like brick outhouses too!
[/quote]

Well now I really am intrigued. And I used to be in band called Synapse so it seems like fate, or something. And if I buy one, they're small enough to hide from my wife so she won't know I've blown a few hundred quid on a bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Am. Std. Jazz @ 8.8 lbs.
Am. Std. Fretless Jazz @ 8.13 lbs.
Hofner 500/1-64-0 @ 4.13 lbs.
Epiphone EB-3 @ 8.3 lbs.

It's nice to have all of the basses being under 9 lbs., but the Hofner violin @ 4.13 lbs. amazes me the most. The Hofner is so light, yet so balanced. I would've thought it would have some neck dive. But it has none.