Why become a member? ×

Pedaltrain Volto

Paul S

I bought one of these on here some while ago but have only this week got around to sorting out my effects board, such as it is.

I charged the Volto from fully flat, ignoring when the LEDs stopped flashing and carrying on overnight. Must have been 12 hours on charge. I then used it to power up the pedals - Line 6 Relay G50 receiver, Mighty Sound PT06 tuner, zoom MS-60B, Boos LS-2 to see how long they would last. I was expecting 10-12 hours but checking after 6 everything was dead. I am starting the process again and will check more often to see exactly how long it takes for it all to die.

I can't help feeling it should last longer? What would be realistic?

Does switching on the pedals without actually using them make any difference to the power consumption? Ordinarily I would only use the tuner a couple of times a night, the LS-2 would be off mostly. Is the Line 6 receiver high power demanding?

Obviously I can use it with the chord but that kind of defeats the object.

ta! :)

I've no experience of the Volto but I do use the Sanyo Eneloop Pedal Juice, and if it helps I use between 40-60% of its charge on a gig. That's running two Zoom B3's on all the time (mostly amp modelling, occasional effect). From memory the B3's are about 500ma current draw each. That's quite a lot for a pedal board, individual pedals would likely draw a lot less in total.

I also use a TC Polytune which is on mute for probably 30-40 minutes between set up and tear down. Figure about 4 hrs max 'on' time at a gig for the Pedal Juice.

Not sure if that's of any use to you for comparison. But my gut feeling is, depending on the current draw of your pedals, you should get at least 1.5 gigs between charges, more if the total draw isn't huge.

I use the Volto power up 4 9v pedals.
An Empress comp, an Aguilar Agro, Baja Mos boost and a TC tuner.

Comp stays on all night.
As a matter of habit I just recharge the volto after every 2nd gig and its normally always half full.

Just charge up after each gig, it doesn't take long

As an aside, can you plug these in whilst using them thus using it as a normal power supply? Or is it, once it's dead its dead?

Not that the op is anywhere near dangerously low levels.. But I just think that's just one more thing to worry about at a gig, especially as you use it more and I'd assume it would start to hold less charge.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1455907640' post='2983594']
As an aside, can you plug these in whilst using them thus using it as a normal power supply?
[/quote]

yes you can

I used a Volto on my nano but that's only got a BBE Optostomp and an analog chorus on it.
With just those 2 pedals I can only expect around 5 hours use before needing a recharge....

I've now shelved the nano, expanded to a nano+, added a 12V high current pedal and gone back to my Trex chameleon...had to change the feet on the nano+ to accomodate it.