Why become a member? ×

Bass DiIlemma

keefbaker

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1456053126' post='2984797']
I suppose everything boils down to the criteria you set yourself when you go out looking for a new bass/guitar/whatever.

Not only does it have to meet it's performance requirements (plays well, sounds good etc.), but it also has to meet your aesthetic requirements (as well as budgetary requirements).
[/quote]
[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1456079453' post='2985196']
I'd buy anything that feels and sounds perfect, but all of the categories you gave would hurt my aesthetic pride! To be honest, the one I'd struggle most with would be the "road-worn". Anything fake, no thanks
[/quote]

These two kinda reflect my view. I'd have to like the look of a bass no matter how well it played. Look wouldn't make me buy a bass but it might stop me.

On the relic thing, I'm a bit in two minds... A beat up, aged over the years bass that I liked, or had reliced myself over years of gigging... No probs... A new-built bass I loved the feel and sound of which had some very light relicing... Yeah, fine, so long as not too daft. "Mr Bass Maker, please beat up the new bass you're making for me." Never ever, ever, ever! I'll have it nice and shiny please.

As a reference point, the very very lightest level of relic I've seen on a Limelight is probably just about pushing at my limit... Tho, to be fair the real deal breaker for me on the options would be the SC, even over the metal monster (close behind).

Edited by TrevorR