Why become a member? ×

Westone pickup change...?

epic576

[color=#141414][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[indent]Greetings,

I've been considering of swapping out the pup in my Westone for a while after deciding it hasn't the punch or clarity of my Fender MIJ PB551.

However I haven't the foggiest what Fender used in those basses at the time and that's the sound I'd like to preferably emulate.

Therefore can anyone nail a current brand that may grant me what I seek?

Cheers

AJ
[/indent][/size][/font][/color][color=#141414][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]

[/size][/font][/color]

Hang on, a Thunder 1A that doesn't have punch or clarity?????

Have you put fresh batteries in it recently?

Maybe get the pre-amp looked at?

I always remember my old Thunder 1A to have been one of the best sounding active basses that I've had, and that list includes a couple of StingRays.

+1 for the Thunder 1a.. such a versatile bass! I occasionally play one in a band, and it's great for a 4 string with frets. :yarr:[size=4] [/size]
Could be the whole active/passive thing.. go back to passive, and try to work out what's 'missing' relative to the tone you're after. Get on Seymour Duncan website and listen hard to all their P pickup samples remembering these are in another bass. It's all about relative tones, and results will vary with the actual bass, strings, playing style and strength, state of your nails/choice of pick...
Experimenting is ace!
Yonks back, I had 2 electric guitars of which I preferred the tone of one but the feel of the other. Swapped the pickups, hoping to achieve one amazing guitar. . No change whatsoever! :-D
Tried the Fender pickup in the Westone yet?