Why become a member? ×

Can I drill new holes in a rack strip?

largo

I've recently acquired a new 2U rack-mount amp. Problem is my current rack has holes cut on each 1U at positions 1 & 3, so nothing cut in the middle hole (why do people do that). The new 2U amp needs fixed at holes in these middle positions so I wondered if I can just drill new holes? Ideally square, so drill & file to fit the rack bolts, but worst case I'd just drill fit normal bolts to the back.

Out of curiosity, I thought there was a thread on flight case builders but can't find it. Any suggestions as if the new amp works out, I might treat myself to new "red" flightcase to match the Vanderkley cabs.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies, I can't replace the strips as I would need to drill out the rivets and then redo them. I don't have that sort of kit, unfortunately. I'm going to try drilling a single hole, punched a guide hole already so keeping my fingers crossed. Unless anyone else has any suggestions. Cheers again for the speedy replies.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1455448220' post='2979106']
Thanks for the replies, I can't replace the strips as I would need to drill out the rivets and then redo them. I don't have that sort of kit, unfortunately. I'm going to try drilling a single hole, punched a guide hole already so keeping my fingers crossed. Unless anyone else has any suggestions. Cheers again for the speedy replies.
[/quote]

I had a similar situation many years ago with a rack unit, and was able to replace the rivets on the old rack strip with nuts and bolts on the sliding strip - all I needed was a drill and suitable metal bits to drill off the rivet heads and then drill through the new aluminium strip to take the bolts. About 30 minutes work in total and it gave me a lot me flexibility about mounting the gear with regards to spacing for ventilation.

• 3 weeks later...