Why become a member? ×

Towards a Boutique Bass

DavidMcKay

I say 'boutique bass', but perhaps others would describe it as a very posh 'bitsa'. Anyway - to the tale.....

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I recently bought a pair of Yamaha TRBX504 basses in Stealth/Matte Black from fellow BCers and I had arranged for [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Jon Shuker (Shuker Basses) to fit a fretless fingerboard to one of them. Not a fretless conversion but an actual full fingerboard replacement with a beautiful slice of Macassar ebony. But then I came upon this item for sale, fell in love with it and bought it ([/font][/color]I now have one of the Yamahas for sale if anyone is interested!)[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]:[/font][/color]

[attachment=212333:Body.jpg] [attachment=212335:Overview.jpg]

However there is a problem. I feel the bass is let down a bit by the shape and condition of the headstock:

[attachment=212334:Headstock.jpg]

So I got back in touch with Jon Shuker and asked if we could up the ante to a full neck replacement, fretless fingerboard and 33" length while we are at it.

He said "Yes".

I wont go into prices here but I was pleasantly surprised at the quote for the work - especially when one considers what Jon's products sell for. If you are needing any work or servicing done I would encourage you to check out his website for a list of options and prices. Did you know he even runs a course where you can build your own bass? How cool is that! I was 50 last year and if I had known about the courses then, I would have dropped a major hint to the current Mrs. McKay!

Jon should receive the bass soon (I arranged for the seller to ship directly to Shuker Bass) at which point we will agree on woods for the neck. I say agree - what I really mean is I'll leave it entirely up to Jon's judgment!

I'll post some more pics as things progress, but I guess my main point is that I have bought and sold many basses in my journey towards 'the one', but perhaps it isn't out there. Perhaps it is what you love from one bass, with a bit of what you desire from another, topped off with something else you happen to like.

I don't know, but I feel I am getting closer with this one.

As a side note. I am not loaded, but then again I am not actually paying that much for this work (especially when I consider what friends spend on golf clubs and clubhouse fees per year - so I guess it is all relative), and I can't even play the bass that well, but if I let that stop me I wouldn't get anywhere.

Oh, and I am keeping the[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] other Yamaha as it is a total slap/funk machine.[/font][/color]

Thoughts/comments welcome.

Speak soon,

David

Edited by DavidMcKay

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1455390573' post='2978765']
So what is that? As you say the body on it is rather lovely
[/quote]

Hi Sprocketflup

It is a GMR Bassforce: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/274025-sold-gmr-bassforce-4-string-blonde-beast-sold/

Hand-made in Poland. A 2005 model, or thereabouts. I just think it looks absolutely gorgeous - a really nice organic-looking piece that has beautiful lines and that boutique appearance.

I think it just has to be fretless to bring its beauty to another level.

I am fond of GMR basses, they are excellent value for money and nicely hand made. In this case I totally agree that the headstock is uninspiring and lets the bass down; I admire your aspirations for this bass and don't think there is anyone better than Mr Shuker to do the necessary.

Please keep us in the loop with progress and the finished result. Very cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...