Why become a member? ×

Double bass on train.

Owen

I need to carry my Double B on the train at the end of Nov. I'm in North Wales and have a gig in London and really cannot be doing with the drive. I cannot get Virgin rail or my local station to give me a straight answer as to whether I can carry my bass on the train. I have booked a bike slot for it, but NEED to know before I get to the station if I will be allowed to carry it. Does anyone know where I should ask or have any experience here?

TIA

I carry the double bass trains all the time, and it's always been ok. I've never bothered to book in advance or anything... my feeling in that regard is that in the event of lack of knowledge on the matter, it would be as likely as not to invite a negative or expensive repsonse.

As you mention, the bike area is a good bet, and also for trains travelling a fair distance there is sometimes a wagon at the back of the train you can store it in. Other good areas are the wheelchair user's space (if not in use) and the back of the carriage where you can sometimes lean it in a corner. Failing that you can sometimes place it on a seat.

For your own sanity, avoid rush hour if possible.

Jennifer

Do you have a railcard of any kind?

This might be a long shot but how long is it until you travel? If you book in advance you get a fair bit off the ticket price. My wife says it can be up to 2/3 off and she has done this quite often. You could then buy 2 tickets and reserve the seats and keep your bass int the empty seat.

I had been thinking about the "taking a double seat" scenario, but am unsure about how much headroom there is for the neck.

I used to carry my DB on the train all the time, but I carried my NS5 in a large case last year and got so much grief from the train manager it was not true. I guess that I shall just risk it. I will look pretty stupid if they say no!

Hi Owen,

Before I got my car I used to get the train everywhere. To be honest though, I would never even consider using the train anymore. It's just such a hassle and you end up in so much pain by the time you get to the gig, you just can't play properly. I had a complete nightmare on the Eurostar earlier this year (thank god they had Duvel at the bar). If you must get the train, travel at times that are least likely to be busy. Virgin trains have plenty of space (the freight carriage is fine but you don't know what gets thrown in there during the trip, bring a long strap so you can tie the bass to something. Wheelchair spaces are perfect for the bass but you'll usually have to beg someone to give up their seat. There is a corner outside the big circular toilets that the bass can stand up in although you'll have to stay close in case the bass goes flying). If you're getting the Aberyswyth (spelling?) to Birmingham line you can expect a load of earache off the conductor. The only place is the doorways and you'll have to keep moving it depending on what side the platform's on. Bike slots are way too small for my bass on this train. The London tube by constrast is easy. Just do not travel at rush hour! Get your escalator technique sorted and don't forget your wheel.

*Practise your fake smile for when you're asked 'Don't you wish you played the flute?' for the 1000th time*

Hope this helps mate.

Edited by chrkelly

[quote name='chrkelly' post='287171' date='Sep 19 2008, 11:21 AM']*Practise your fake smile for when you're asked 'Don't you wish you played the flute?' for the 1000th time*[/quote]

You're not kidding. Just the other day somebody got as far as "Don't you wish you played...", when they must have seen the look on my face and decided to call it quits at that point. Actually, I don't mind that one so much, the one I can't stand is "that's a big guitar!!!!!"

Jennifer

Steady!

Obviously if the space is needed by a wheelchair user you give up the space. However, 99% of the time I used trains with my bass, the space is not occupied so why not use it for a bass? The conductor usually has an idea who will be getting on and at what stop, so they can advise you if the space will be needed or not.

Chris

[quote name='metaltime' post='287546' date='Sep 19 2008, 06:15 PM']I thought it was illegal to abuse wheelchair spaces. If its not then it should be.

If i got on a train with my girlfriend and found a double bass in the only seat she can use on the whole f***ing train i would be tempted to kick a hole in it.[/quote]

I did say "Other good areas are the wheelchair user's space [i](if not in use)[/i]". Obviously if the space was required for a wheelchair user I would move the double bass elsewhere immediately - indeed I did exactly this a few weeks ago, without the need for any woodwork to be harmed in the process :-)

On the trains I use here the wheelchair space also doubles as a bike area - the guard removes the bike propping bar to allow access for the wheelchair user. Obviously the priority is for the wheelchair user, but it would seem that the intent is that it can be used for other purposes if not employed in its primary capacity.

Jennifer

ok sorry i was in a bad mood and that was a bit OTT and uncalled for.

but trust me if you ever try using a train with a wheelchair user you would understand the frustration.

sorry Chris and Jennifer wasnt really aimed at you personally just the situation.

i wont delete the post cause the thread wont make sense

sorry to derail thread.
Andrew

also PMd