Why become a member? ×

Buying new 8 string hybrid...wood combo suggestions!?!

Mikey D

Here's the deal...I don't know what wood combo to go for on my new custom build Wes Lambe 8 string!?

Some of you may know I had to sell my last one as I had to pay for double bass repairs and general Uni living, but I bought this "used" so didn't have a say on woods. Now I can afford it, I am getting one custom made.

I'm completely stumped. I originally wanted to go with the matt garrison/janek etc buckeye burl fodera wood/black hardware combo, but now I don't know after seeing charlie hunters new Traugott...Any other ideas for best looking wood/hardware combos?

The main body is either walnut, mahogany, alder or swamp ash. Neck can be mahogany or birdseye maple. Fingerboard can be maple, rosewood or ebony. Of course other woods are available at extra cost. Like wenge for the neck or another wood for the top. I'm trying to keep other wood options out apart from a top as I can't afford much more on the price as I am already going for hardware/pickup upgrades.

This is what they look like (this is my old one):

and I am currently thinking of this sort of wood combo, but I am open to suggestions!?:

Are you going for electric or electro-acoustic? I have to be honest, I reckon that the wood choices for electric guitar are of even less consequence than they are for bass.

Saying that :), I'd suggest alder for an even balanced sound, but if you want something a bit warmer then I'd suggest mahogany. If you're lucky you might even be able to get some figured mahogany for at least a top like on that AJ Fodera. If you were going for electro-acoustic I'd recommend mahogany or rosewood. Walnut can be a bit dead sounding (IME). My favourite sounding acoustic wood combo is/was rosewood back and sides with sitka spruce top. Sounded sooo crisp and clean, it was wonderful.

I thought you sold it as you were primarily focusing on bass. Have you been sorely missing 8 string playing?

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='286440' date='Sep 18 2008, 09:12 AM']Are you going for electric or electro-acoustic? I have to be honest, I reckon that the wood choices for electric guitar are of even less consequence than they are for bass.

Saying that :huh:, I'd suggest alder for an even balanced sound, but if you want something a bit warmer then I'd suggest mahogany. If you're lucky you might even be able to get some figured mahogany for at least a top like on that AJ Fodera. If you were going for electro-acoustic I'd recommend mahogany or rosewood. Walnut can be a bit dead sounding (IME). My favourite sounding acoustic wood combo is/was rosewood back and sides with sitka spruce top. Sounded sooo crisp and clean, it was wonderful.

I thought you sold it as you were primarily focusing on bass. Have you been sorely missing 8 string playing?

Mark[/quote]

I think it is going to be an alder body, maple neck, plain ebony board. Still debating what top/matching headstock to go for...I'm going to see if he has anything in stock that he can offer. I'm trying to keep the custom costs down and would rather put the money elsewhere. All being good the pickups should be a customer Nordstrand and a Dimarzio vintage-p90 soapbars.

I sold it to fund repairs and on the other side, to concentrate more on my bass playing. But as you have said, I am really missing playing it. Now I have a bit of money "spare" I've decided to get one made. A bit like a joint xmas/birthday gift for myself by the time it is made. :)

I'd go for a mahogany body, walnut top, birdseye maple neck, rosewood fingerboard - but Alder/Maple/Ebony would also sound great, especially with the Nordies and P90s.

How do you think an ebony 'board will sound with P90s? That's the only question I'd ask about your combination. Well, apart from the question of how much cooller it would all look with a walnut top/matching headstock...

[quote name='The Funk' post='289399' date='Sep 22 2008, 06:48 PM']I'd go for a mahogany body, walnut top, birdseye maple neck, rosewood fingerboard - but Alder/Maple/Ebony would also sound great, especially with the Nordies and P90s.

How do you think an ebony 'board will sound with P90s? That's the only question I'd ask about your combination. Well, apart from the question of how much cooller it would all look with a walnut top/matching headstock...[/quote]

Walnut tops rock.

Walnut headstocks rock.

Walnut tops rock.

Walnut headstocks rock.

I don't know about anybody else, but I think think black american burr walnut is the most beautiful of woods...

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote]I think it is going to be an alder body, maple neck, plain ebony board. Still debating what top/matching headstock to go for...I'm going to see if he has anything in stock that he can offer. I'm trying to keep the custom costs down and would rather put the money elsewhere. All being good the pickups should be a customer Nordstrand and a Dimarzio vintage-p90 soapbars.

I sold it to fund repairs and on the other side, to concentrate more on my bass playing. But as you have said, I am really missing playing it. Now I have a bit of money "spare" I've decided to get one made. A bit like a joint xmas/birthday gift for myself by the time it is made[/quote]

Sounds good! Even though I'd said I don't think the wood will impact the tone massively, I reckon that a dark rosewood would be a safer bet, at least because of the drying/shrinkage problem that ebony has. It's also harder to work with than rosewood. Also, I think that P90s will sound great. Really digging the big single coil sound on guitars at present.

Once upon a time, I had a go at the Charlie Hunter style of playing and it really benefitted my playing mentally, to do both things at the same time. In reality, the work required didn't match up to the fruits of my labour if I'm honest, so it joined the likes of the Chapman stick idea. I have more or less decided (for me) that if I want to play hold down both bass and melody at the same time and effectively, then I need to take up piano; anything else is just a compromise.

Mark