Why become a member? ×

Noobs & Beginners

fumps

Oh that helps ..
So a widdle in the bedroom setup for no money? At least for now :)

Acoustic basses are OK but won't keep up with a couple of enthusiastically played acoustic guitars, should you move on to playing with others in a few months but a small practice amp will resolve that..

I had a Crafter BA400 and it was fine for playing at home or plugged in (nice preamp with some extra controls that made stage work easier)
Bargain one on eBay from MusicWorld here at £200 BIN, new.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330269593314"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=330269593314[/url]

The amps which are available now totally eclipse what was available 10 years ago. I would think it's actually quite difficult to find a really bad amp unless you are really unlucky. "Try before you buy" has to be the best advise and make sure you really identify a sound which you like before going shopping.

For buying a bass - Try out a 2nd hand Warwick. If you get on with the shape of the neck (people either love it or hate it) then you're likely to get a >£1000 bass for half-or-less price than it sold new as they really don't seem to be keeping their value these days.

[quote name='fumps' post='286393' date='Sep 18 2008, 07:03 AM']Cheers peeps i'll take this on board.

I used to play years ago but had to sell up through getting into cash problems.

At the time i had a Peavy 200watt Combo, A special combo that no matter how hard your tried & how many settings you descovered still managed to sound like a goose farting behind a bush. And felt like it was made out of 2ton of pig iron.[/quote]

The Peavey Special was a guitar amp IIRC, which would explain why it sounded so rough. Though their bass gear still weighs a ton. :)

Good luck with picking up a nice acoustic.

Cheers peeps.

This is all good stuff. I have a Tanglewood acoustic gu*tar (Sorry) and it has a lovley tone.

Will look at The Crafter as well (My mate has a georgeous guitar by them)

I think i'm gonna go for an acoustic simply because i'll spend most of the time playing it to me in the garden lol.....Dont really want to go back to bands & gigs.......just not enough time in my life for that. I'm a dad & keen Mountain biker so another time soaking activity is'nt possible......(He keeps telling himself).

Quick question to anyone in general ....What happened to Bass Collection ?
when i was origionally playing they were everywhere, now i dont see any on racks in shops anymore.

Or did i dream them :)

Re Shops, You could have a look throgh this thread on good bass shops for one near you (and a BC person to go with you if needed)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27195&hl=shops"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27195&hl=shops[/url]

Re amping: if you don't intend to gig I'd suggest looking at the little Fender B DEC combos with the computer/modeling/looping etc built in. About £250 new. Sounds like a huge amount of stuff for reasonable money.

[quote name='fumps' post='286450' date='Sep 18 2008, 09:35 AM']Quick question to anyone in general ....What happened to Bass Collection ?
when i was origionally playing they were everywhere, now i dont see any on racks in shops anymore.

Or did i dream them :)[/quote]

Nope, it wasn't a dream. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=697"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=697[/url]

They were good basses, but I think the fashion for small bodied basses died out and they suffered as a result.

Just to add my $00.02.... if you really are a total beginner, it's sorta difficult because you don't know what you like yet. On the other hand you don't know what you don't like either :). So, my advice is to buy almost anything in the mid range knowing that you'll almost certainly get rid of it again. Although I'm not a big fan myself, you aren't going to go wrong with a (Made in Mexico) Fender Jazz or similar - they're as easy to play as you are going to get and when you have some experience and decide you hate having two volume knobs you'll get a reasonable percentage of your money back. You can also get some ridiculously good deals on second hand Japanese stuff that has done all its depreciating. High end Yamahas and Ibanezes can be had for next to nothing. There was an RBX-775 (top end of Yamaha's RBX range) for sale on here for 150 quid for weeks, until the guy gave up.

Amplification depends entirely on your needs. For learning I would probably recommend a headphone amp. That's what I've always (and still do) use in the house. The variety that plug into your PC too so you can play along with iTunes (and various slowing down software) are the answer. Failing that, everybody makes practice amps. A second hand combo shouldn't rush you too much either, but they're heavy and take up space if you're only going to sit on it and have the volume turned all the way down!

[quote name='Jase' post='286339' date='Sep 17 2008, 11:42 PM']Yes....FORD: Fix or Repair Daily...ummmm I can't think of one for Fender :)

Don't go to a music shop, there are more people here that won't bullshit you if you buy secondhand and if you stick around, you'll find out that people here REALLY love their gear, a huge percenatge of gear for sale here is always in very good condition...lots of geeky, brainy, bass folk :huh:[/quote]Fender...Fools Enter Negotiations Destite Extortionate Retail. :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='289691' date='Sep 23 2008, 09:33 AM']Soooooooooooooooooo

What are you going to get?[/quote]

I'm looking at a few acoustic Bass' at the moment.
An Ibinez (Not sure of model, but it sounds really nice) the Washburn AB10 at the moment.

I am looking at what i can afford.

Although there looks to be some good bargains out there i am steadfast in my not looking at electric Bass'......I dont want any amplification as that road seems a complicated one.

I'm not exactley a beginner just been away a long time.