Why become a member? ×

3 Strand Audio Cable

rainbowreality

Thanks for the replies!

What I mean is 3 core shielded (sorry). I was thinking of using 4 core shielded and not use one of the cores, just seems wasteful though! I'm starting to think 3 core doesn't exist!

Another option I was considering was using 4 pieces of 22awg cable (one strand cable being shield) and twist or even plait them together as I've read somewhere this effectively shields them?

Edited by rainbowreality

You could always use the four core and solder two of the wires together, so it's not totally wasted? Can't say as I see why it would really be a problem to just cut it off, though.

If you wanted to make up your own cable, you could feed it through some braided shielding. Like this stuff:

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=200_207

I have done exactly that with that stuff in guitars myself.

Be aware that a lot of 4-core and screen cable isn't very robust, due the fact that manufacturers try and cram the extra cores into a standard 2core and screen cable thickness. This leads to the the signal cables being very skinny and easily damaged unless you are always extra careful about coiling the cable up when putting it away.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1453025751' post='2955542']This leads to the the signal cables being very skinny and easily damaged unless you are always extra careful about coiling the cable up when putting it away.
[/quote]Yes, they can be a bit delicate but this is for fixed wiring in a bass so it shouldn't matter in this case.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1453025751' post='2955542']
Be aware that a lot of 4-core and screen cable isn't very robust, due the fact that manufacturers try and cram the extra cores into a standard 2core and screen cable thickness. This leads to the the signal cables being very skinny and easily damaged unless you are always extra careful about coiling the cable up when putting it away.
[/quote]

I wonder if using two cables, one single shielded and one two core shielded might be a better option?

[quote name='rainbowreality' timestamp='1453059594' post='2956064']
I wonder if using two cables, one single shielded and one two core shielded might be a better option?
[/quote]
Depending on whether you have cable already or would need to buy then it might be easier to do it all with 2 core shielded as you'd need only one cable type and it's readily available.

I'm wondering what wiring configuration you have that requires 3 core shielded ?

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1452974617' post='2955306']
I mostly use it for lining the hole between and linking shielded pick-up and control cavities (my basses and guitars don't have scratchplates).
[/quote]

I use it at work for overall shielding of cable assemblies.
But for your use would it be easier to use flat braid ?

[quote name='rainbowreality' timestamp='1452954280' post='2955028']
Another option I was considering was using 4 pieces of 22awg cable (one strand cable being shield) and twist or even plait them together as I've read somewhere this effectively shields them?
[/quote]

Twisting is a bit different from shielding. To be effective it needs to be used with a balanced audio system. This is unlikely to be the case with a bass/pickup/amp setup.

[quote name='rainbowreality' timestamp='1452903667' post='2954724']
I can't find it anywhere (3 strand plus earth) I need some to rewire my bass so if anyone knows where to get any I'd be very grateful!
[/quote]
for info there's plenty of screened 3 core cable available in industrial cable ranges eg CY cables. But you'll probably have difficulty in getting it in less than a 50m reel at >£50 !

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1453049167' post='2955934']
Yes, they can be a bit delicate but this is for fixed wiring in a bass so it shouldn't matter in this case.
[/quote]

In that case unless there are very long runs through sections where it isn't possible use either copper foil or conductive paint as shielding it really shouldn't matter if the cable is screened or not.

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1453109606' post='2956321']

I use it at work for overall shielding of cable assemblies.
But for your use would it be easier to use flat braid ?
[/quote]
Why would it be easier? Do you mean to wrap the flat braid around the wire, or just use it to link the cavities? I could just run a wire for linking if that was all I wanted to do. I know shielding the hole probably makes absolutely no difference, but I like the completeness of it.

I feed the wire through the braid, then feed that through the hole. Splay the ends of the braid and tape them down (I use aluminium tape for shielding cavities). I only really started using it for that because I had it knocking around. I bought it with wire in it labelled as "Gibson" style wire, when I was rewiring a Les Paul style guitar that has chrome hardware, so it all matches...

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1453121320' post='2956482']
Why would it be easier? Do you mean to wrap the flat braid around the wire, or just use it to link the cavities? I could just run a wire for linking if that was all I wanted to do. I know shielding the hole probably makes absolutely no difference, but I like the completeness of it.

I feed the wire through the braid, then feed that through the hole. Splay the ends of the braid and tape them down (I use aluminium tape for shielding cavities). I only really started using it for that because I had it knocking around. I bought it with wire in it labelled as "Gibson" style wire, when I was rewiring a Les Paul style guitar that has chrome hardware, so it all matches...
[/quote]

Oh I see. I thought you meant you used it simply to link cavities to maintain continuity (without screening a cable).
Thought you might be using a braid as technically it's better than a piece of round wire (although with guitar set ups the difference is probably more theoretical than audible ?)
Thanks for clarifying.