Why become a member? ×

My first jazz gig tomorrow night

JapanAxe

About 18 months ago I decided to branch out and play as widely as possible. The sax player in my new functions band has asked me to dep with her 7-piece trad jazz band, and that's happening tomorrow night!

I had kind of written off trad jazz as trite music played by old fellas in stripey jackets and boaters, with lots of widdly clarinets, but I am finding myself really enjoying this. I have played some swing stuff before in a dance band and a big band, and in fact there is a certain amount of swing in the set at the client's request, but I have had my eyes opened by the trad material - great up-tempo tunes, lovely chord progressions, and a very satisfying musical result when it all comes together.

At the first rehearsal I was somewhat wrong-footed by the sheer speed of the music I was trying to sight-read - 4-beat at 230bpm anyone?! - but a bit of wood-shedding has sorted that. I have also found that I can do a passable walking bass when playing the swing material from chord charts, mainly from my knowledge of chord construction.

So wish me luck - I will report back on Sunday.

Good luck. I always enjoyed playing jazz in the past even though apart from bebop, birth of the cool and some funk/jazz fusion (H Hancock) it's not something I listen to much.

I love the atmosphere in a jazz ensemble and the bass role is such a different discipline to rock/pop stuff.

Enjoy it. Record the gig if you can, it'll give you real insight into what's going well/ what could be improved in your jazz chops. Do you have to solo?

[quote name='ballstomonty' timestamp='1452928559' post='2954756']
Record the gig if you can, it'll give you real insight into what's going well/ what could be improved in your jazz chops. Do you have to solo?
[/quote]

Record the gig? - Now there's an idea (although a frightening one)!

I have a couple of written solos, which will be getting some extra attention this morning. I have never had any interest in soloing on bass in the way that, say, Scott Devine seems to enjoy.