Why become a member? ×

Gk combo keeps cutting out intermittently ..

Howdy!
I have a gallien Krueger combo ( mbs111) , hardly used since I got it in a swap with another basschatter .
I have been playing ( or attempting to) a couple of basses through it for about an hour or so.
There was obviously a lot of static noise when adjusting the controls . However,the sound keeps cutting out .
If I turn the volume up to a loud volume, the sound returns again. Same with the output level.

is it something simple , like cleaning the pots ? Is it best to take it to an amp repair shop? If so, will it be an expensive fix?
please advise
Cheers

Hi,
As many will advise, try and put a lead between the FX send and return. Also try using a contact cleaner on a jack then insert and reinsert into the input. If any of the volume or boost controls feel stiff maybe give them a few repeated turns until they feel free.
These are some of the tricks I've done on GKs that have made some quite sinister quirks go away, I am a fan of their amps despite any gremlins. Pots and switching jacks seem to be their achilles heel(s).
If these tricks fail, try a tech. Maybe Polar Audio can help.
Good luck,
Martin

Ditto above. I would also add that when sound isn't there but then breaks through occasionally that it can be a bad connection that is occasionally vibrating into a good contact position. This can include an internal failure on a pot wiper.

Getting the amp serviced should include replacing the pots. I would expect charges to be about £45 plus parts. (few quid a pot).

Definitely try cleaning the pots and sockets first.. it may well fix the problem, and if not you'll have an appreciation of why a repairer will charge so much for 'simply changing a pot' and why they'll often suggest changing all the pots at once. Depending on the amp, getting to the back of the pots in order to spray Servisol in there can take anything from a few minutes to a couple of hours!

This is the one I use.. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/servisol-super-10-switch-contact-cleaner-200ml-jp17t
Maplin are easy to find, but most places doing electronics gear and many music shops will stock it. Because I use it myself, we stock it at work!