Why become a member? ×

Running Out Of Steam

Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='Rich' post='284151' date='Sep 15 2008, 12:31 PM']Depends on your taste in music, but I'd say almost anything by Rush for starters.[/quote]

Yes that is a great idea. Rush got me into guitar and bass. I threw the plectrum away and tried to blast along to Geddy Lee in the early days.

To be honest my enthusiasm and progress now comes fro playing in a covers band for the last 15 years. I have to be a jack of all trades. Most can be busked but there are some things that you HAVE to get right, Rhythm stick, watching the detectives, town called malice, who stuff etc ....

Floating my boat at the moment is Playing along to Spocks Beard. Not rocket science but plenty of changes and dynamics and tones.

I love Rush more than ever too.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='284183' date='Sep 15 2008, 01:15 PM']Join a band.[/quote]

+1

Or an Adult Ed course - cheaper than one on one lessons, more chance to meet other players.

or go to jam sessions, note what gets played, learn them then return and volunteer to play.

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='284741' date='Sep 16 2008, 08:26 AM']Wife + 2 kids....not gonna happen anytime soon[/quote]

There is nothing as good for your development as playing with other musicians.

Loads of people are in the same situation, including band members. You just ("just" ha ha) need a family agreement, and a band that only plays now and then ...

Or, if you think that's insermountable, advertise for a guitarist to jam with.

[quote name='Rich' post='284151' date='Sep 15 2008, 12:31 PM']Depends on your taste in music, but I'd say almost anything by Rush for starters.[/quote]

<Thinks back to "Spirit of Radio" and feels totally inadequate>

Launches all bass gear into back garden and looks for new hobby lol

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='284148' date='Sep 15 2008, 12:30 PM']I have been playing Bass for a couplr of years now and used to have lessons.

Due to financial reasons I've had to stop going now and I'm fast running out of stuff to practice to.

Can anyone recommend songs that are a bit of a challange to re-spark my enthusiasm?[/quote]

Anything / everything. Switch the radio on and listen. Also, join a band :-) It doesn't *need* to take over your life; I am old and have loads of other commitments - it was just a matter of finding a band with similar people.