Why become a member? ×

cheap 5 strings

John_P

Quick update - I just bought a yamaha trb1005. It was local and a good price so thought I'd grab it. Initial thoughts are that it's really well made and sounds great but I'm not sure if I'll adjust to the string spacing that seems a little wider than I'd like but that might be a case of getting used to a 5.

I understand the OP's fear of sinking a lot of cash into something new and he doesn't know if he'll want to carry on, but. . . . . my experience with cheap guitars put me off playing guitar. I came back on a bass but a player needs to learn on a good instrument. You're fighting yourself and lack of skill and ability at the beginning, the last thing anyone needs is to be fighting the instrument as well. B strings are critical and do not always sound good on cheap basses. You have to buy a bass that has a B that sounds as good as the rest of the instrument or what's the point of moving away from 4 strings?

The advice I like is to buy the second bass first.

My first 5 string bass was a MM Stingray 5. I'm not suggesting this bass to the OP, but I'm glad I started on a bass that was easy to play and sounded as good as the Stingray.