Why become a member? ×

DHA VT1 - Anyone got one??

carlsim

Am looking at one as a DI and preamp. I already have an MXR M80 DI+ which works fine for me but I am attracted to the fact it has a headphone amp and iPod input for practicing...

Any opinions anyone?

Edited by carlsim

I'm on my second VT1 DI-EQ. I sold my first one because it was a hassle having its own power supply (they are 12v, centre positive supply - the opposite of standard 'Boss' style pedals), and I thought I could get the same sound with other pedals.

Turns out I couldn't. The mp3 and headphone sockets mean that I can practice at my kitchen table through headphones and still get a great bass sound.
Compared with the MXR unit the overdrive sound on the VT1 is massively superior (IMHO) - it'll do tiny amounts of breakup to full on fuzz if that's how you want to run it. The big difference though is that the MXR is 2 channel, so you can set a clean channel and a dirty channel, whereas the VT1 is single channel on/off unit.

You've also got a blend control on the MXR and not on the DHA, but to be honest, I've never missed it.

The MXR automatically adds a 'mid scoop' on the O/D channel if I remember correctly, making you sound great when you're playing on your own, but put that in a band and you'll just disappear in the mix. That's what I found anyway.

I never gig without it.

Thanks for that Paul... i do like the blend option but to be honest, I rarely need it!! I think I have only ever played 1 Muse song once! But the ability to drive it a little could be quite appealing... again, I'm torn to the headphone socket and mp3 input... think I will have to keep my eyes peeled for one!

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1449904632' post='2927825']
I just picked up a Mk2 version and so far it's an improvement on the Mk 1 I had.

I got a diago adaptor do I can Daisy chain it albeit at 9 Volts.

Going to try it driving a power amp next week
[/quote]

Let us know how it gets on with the power amp! Which one are you trying? I'm absolutely loving the MK2