Why become a member? ×

How to add an LED

fleabag

I built a passive , non powered pre-set volume box ( cut only ) for my pedal board using this tutorial..

[url="http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19549-state-of-the-stomp-build-a-preset-volume-box"]http://www.premiergu...eset-volume-box[/url]

The writer suggests that an LED can be added so you know at a glance that the box is on or off. He doesnt say how to wired the LED into the circuit

So can anyone tell me how this would be done ? I have some small LED lights here, which i assume will do the job, but need instructions on how to / where to wire it in

Cheers !

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1449827896' post='2927191']
Easy, just take it to a music shop and ask them to do it!

Seriously, that level of repair, I would leave to a pro. , but you might be more industrious.
[/quote]

Well i built the box itself after sourcing the parts, so if i could get a diagram , i'm sure i could sort it out

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1449827964' post='2927193']
You need to replace the DPDT footswitch with a TPDT one and then wire the LED along with a battery to the third pole of the switch so that when the signal is routed to the volume potentiometer the LED is on.
[/quote]

The idea was to keep power out of it. I dont to want power the pedal with battery or 9v PS. Does the LED need its own power ? Would signal from the guitar not be enough when the pedal was kicked in ?

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1449828156' post='2927196']
The idea was to keep power out of it. I dont to want power the pedal with battery or 9v PS. Does the LED need its own power ? Would signal from the guitar not be enough when the pedal was kicked in ?
[/quote]

Unfortunately if you want an LED you need power. Guitar signal strengths are measured in millivolts and you will need at least 3 volts for an LED ( 2 x AA batteries) to be visible under all lighting conditions.

Having re-read your OP if this is going on a pedal board and you already have a PSU for you other pedals then it would be possible to run the LED of that. You will need to wire a resistor in series with the LED - for a standard red LED run off a 9V PSU something in the region of 390Ω should do.