Why become a member? ×

N(O)AD - Aguilar AG500SC

JPJ

Well its new old amp day here at JPJ towers. I've been searching around for a replacement for my Orange Terror Bass I let go a year or so ago, something smaller and lighter than my SWR SM1500.

Being a bit of a luddite, I've only recently weaned myself off either big cabs or multiple cabs, and I'm doing more gigs these days using just my SWR Goliath 4x10 (albeit reconed with Eminence Deltalites). As I normally run through the PA, the reality is I have no need for massive backline and as much as I love the SM1500, the weight is a real issue, especially on upstairs gigs. I'd narrowed my search down to four amps, the AG500, the Markbass TTE, the Mesa Walkabout, or the GK fusion 550. After a few false starts, our own Geoff90guitar stuck his AG500SC up in the for sale section at (what I consider) a bargain price, so the trigger was pulled and the Aguilar arrived safe and sound today.

Initial impressions at 'man cave' volumes are extremely good. It looks like the combination of the AG and the Goliath is a match made in heaven. The AG has that 'thump' that you can only get from big old transformers imho, and it takes none to very little eq'ing to dial in a very useable tone. This is the first amp I've used in a while (save for the terrorbass) that hasn't featured either a semi-parametric or graphic eq, and I'm quite excited by the simplicity of the four knob approach of the Aggy (bass, low mid, high mid, treble). Saturday night will see her first gig with me and as its an upstairs hump, she'll be a joy to load in/out compared to her stable mate.

Further reports and photos to follow.

My back is going to love me. This is a genuine one hand lift so amp in one hand bass in other type load-in. My band mates will be pleased as the SM1500 is a definite two-man lift.

So I got to use 'Christina' (as my band mates have christened her) in anger on Saturday night. Tone controls all at 12 o'clock and the pre on my J-Retro equipped Overwater J5 in the centre positions and the tone was big fat and powerful. Rolled the bass control back a little on the bass (which I do on most gigs as the J-Retro has a built in bass boost at the centre position) and wow, there it was my tone and in spades full.
Playing through my Goliath 4x10, she wasn't lacking in volume either despite the published 250W into 8 ohms. The master volume (never a reliable indicator of loudness) was at about 11 o'clock and she had no problem keeping up with two 100w valve equipped guitarists and a loud drummer. All in all a lot of very useable tone in a relatively small lightweight package.
Oh and Saturday nights gig was upstairs, and it was a pleasure to load in/out with my amp in one hand and my bass in the other instead of the two-man lift of the SWR!