Why become a member? ×

Stage Monitor Help?

2elliot

The band I play for got a bit caught out last night when the venue we played at could not get the stage monitor to work. We use a drum machine through the PA so the gig became a bit of a challange. We are not interested in getting a drummer so have decided to cough up for a monitor; drums mainly with a bit of vocal. We have no idea about this stuff so I'm looking for a bit of direction, we'll probably go second hand £100 ish.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

You are going to struggle to get active monitors for £100 outside of Peavey, Laney and Carlsboro. A lot of the cheap Chinese unbranded stuff will struggle with handling a decent kick drum sound. If you already have a spare PA amp then look out for a set of Yamaha club series monitors which are cheap, reliable, loud and sound pretty good.

I'm with Bill in wanting to separate the vocal monitor from the drum monitor. If the drums need to be loud enough for the whole band to hear on stage then your vocalist is going to struggle to hear themselves through the same speaker.

An active monitor (or PA speaker for that matter) is a speaker with its own amplifier built in. It is self-powered. So it's a box with a speaker AND an amp in it. You can plug a microphone or the signal from the mixer straight into it.

A passive monitor would simply be a speaker in a box. You would need to run a separate out-board power amp with which you would need to power it from. You would need to plug the signal from the mixer into the power amp, and from there into the monitor.

To be honest, anything that won't distort will do.

I remember seeing a blues band use an old Peavey keyboard combo that they bought for £30 as a monitor for vocals and saxophone.

Essentially that combo is an 'active monitor'. Just took a line from the aux-out of the mixer straight into the instrument input in the combo. Simples.