Why become a member? ×

MOOG MP-201 ALTERNATIVES?

Greg.Bassman

Yeah. The Reflex can be configured to control CV so you can connect it up no worries. You could send LFO to one input and expression to the other etc. I can't vouch for its programmability, but functionality seems excellent. I've only had a quick play, but I'll be picking one up myself very soon.

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1449820826' post='2927084']
Yeah. The Reflex can be configured to control CV so you can connect it up no worries. You could send LFO to one input and expression to the other etc. I can't vouch for its programmability, but functionality seems excellent. I've only had a quick play, but I'll be picking one up myself very soon.
[/quote]

There's no programmability per se, you get the settings you can change in/on the pedal at tihis time. There's been talk about a software editor, to configure the user-defined LFO if nothing else, but Source Audio seems to have put that on the backburner for now.

Edited by FretNoMore

I was under the impression that you could set up each outputs function, range (start/end point) and on/off status, then save them to a bank/patch, so for example, if you have 3 pedals connected, you can set them up as you will use them in a track, 1 song per patch, and just switch to the next patch to recall the settings?

Internal programmability... Like the MP-201.

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1449821378' post='2927090']
I was under the impression that you could set up each outputs function, range (start/end point) and on/off status, then save them to a bank/patch, so for example, if you have 3 pedals connected, you can set them up as you will use them in a track, 1 song per patch, and just switch to the next patch to recall the settings?

Internal programmability... Like the MP-201.
[/quote]
Yes, maybe I'm interpreting the word programmability incorrectly, I was thinking of an external editor. You can indeed set up those things in patches and recall them via MIDI or via a knob on the pedal.

"The Reflex can store 128 presets. These presets contain all of the data related to the shapes and parameter settings of all 7 expression outputs."

Edited by FretNoMore

That's as programmable as the MP-201 (ish) and enough for me. The MP did not have an external editor either, it just allowed backup of data to a PC. All good by my book.

I'm not sure the reflex goes deep enough to warrant editor software. If it had more than expression and LFO (and Midi CC) then maybe, but in the grand scale, it's functionality is probably not vast enough to need the software side.

Guest FretNoMore

Yes ... the only thing you can't do now is set up the user-defined LFO, it needs some kind of editor. Having a way of backing up settings would be good too. Recall via MIDI is great, but for those with an SA setup with a Hub I would think it would also be interesting to be able to save the Reflex settings as part of a Hub scene (and via the Hub Manager). There's room for improvement in terms of integration with other SA gear, that will maybe happen once they slow down a bit after releasing all these new One Series products.

Edited by FretNoMore

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using an expressionator for a while now. To be fair my uses are probably very straightforward but I've found it to be a really simply way of removing two expression pedals from my board and driving 3 units from one pedal. The expresionator itself has a really small footprint.
It might sound a bit daft but the other appeal of this for me was that I still get to use my boss fv500 which is nice and sturdy and can be set to really firm resistance - I feel like I've got a bit more control on my sweeps etc.
This is fine if you need to control the units separately (as I usually do) or are happy with the same sweep going on at the same time. I think where the reflex will be much better is for specific settings per song/config etc as the expressionator has none of this.
I was lucky enough to pick mine up pretty cheap as well which influenced my decision. If you're after something small and simple though I think it works a treat. More complex applications you probably want the reflex.