Why become a member? ×

Dawsons

Waldo

So I went into town yesterday to check out some new gear. I'm in Liverpool and there are 3 music shops right next together, I went into the two I normally shop in and decided that since I havn't been in Dawsons for so long I might as well have a look, see if anything's different.

I go in, go to the guitars section upstairs and am greeted by signs pretty much on every other guitar and piece of gear (and they have a lot of gear!) along the lines of 'DO NOT TOUCH! A MEMBER OF STAFF MUST BE PRESENT BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANYTHING! YOU MUST BE OVER 21 TO TOUCH THE DRUMKITS'

And then I suddenly realised why it's been so long since I've set foot in Dawsons..... :)

Oh and £800 for a Marcus Miller jazz :huh:

[quote name='mike257' post='281475' date='Sep 10 2008, 10:17 PM']I can only sympathise. Saying that, I've been in there when they [i]do[/i] let kids loose on the drum kits, it's hell on earth!!!

Dolphin have nicer basses in anyway, it's the only place worth going if you're having a GAS attack![/quote]

Dolphin had a great stock when they first opened but has now gone dramatically downhill bass-wise. They've gone from proper Warwicks (including a nice thumb dirty blonde), Laklands, the whole Musicman range to Warwick rockbasses, a few fenders, some low-midrange ibanezes and the odd musicman. They still have the best stock out of any of the shops though :)

Nice to see someone else in Liverpool, by the way!

Edited by Waldo

I went in there to try some of the new Trace combos, after the assistant had given me all the BS I plugged in and nothing, on both of them, they were both knackered!
He then said that he could get one in for me within a week but only if I was interested in buying one.
Not one single lefty bass.
Out of about 200 guitars on the walls, I counted about 15 that were american or original country of origin.
I think Liverpool for its size has the worst music shops in the country.

[quote]Dolphin had a great stock when they first opened but has now gone dramatically downhill bass-wise. They've gone from proper Warwicks (including a nice thumb dirty blonde), Laklands, the whole Musicman range to Warwick rockbasses, a few fenders, some low-midrange ibanezes and the odd musicman. They still have the best stock out of any of the shops though

Nice to see someone else in Liverpool, by the way![/quote]

I bought the 2005 Ltd 'ray off them on the day they opened, I was apparently the first person to buy anything 'good' off them! I was tempted to blow my credit rating on that black Lakland DJ they had in a while ago too.

And yeah, good to see there's not just me here representing our cultural capital! Would I know you from any bands round here?

Edited by mike257

[quote name='steve-soar' post='281482' date='Sep 10 2008, 10:24 PM']I went in there to try some of the new Trace combos, after the assistant had given me all the BS I plugged in and nothing, on both of them, they were both knackered!
He then said that he could get one in for me within a week but only if I was interested in buying one.
Not one single lefty bass.
Out of about 200 guitars on the walls, I counted about 15 that were american or original country of origin.
[b]I think Liverpool for its size has the worst music shops in the country[/b].[/quote]

We could do with a nice big PMT really. Things have gotten better since Dolphin music came though, they actually have some boutique stuff in there. Was quite amusing to go there on opening day and see that most of the staff in had jumped ship from Dawsons over the road!

I had a similar experience when trying to buy an Ashdown practice combo. Went to the one in Chester, asked to buy it and they plugged it in to check that it was working and guess what? It wasn't! I then asked them if they could ring the Liverpool store and see if they had one there. Turns out they did and I was assured that it was working. Drove from Chester to Liverpool to pick it up and guess what? The combo wasn't working there either!

You know, I've suddenly just remembered the real reason why I stopped shopping there!

I spent a few hours in the Reading branch of Dawsons before Christmas last year, and have to say in defence of the chain, that they were very cool. Here's your amp, here's a lead, play what you want and it you want it, we'll get it from stock. Just be careful not to ding anything, Couldn't have been more the opposite than your experience.

That said, haven't been in there for ten months...could be all change now.
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='281591' date='Sep 11 2008, 07:40 AM']I spent a few hours in the Reading branch of Dawsons before Christmas last year, and have to say in defence of the chain, that they were very cool. Here's your amp, here's a lead, play what you want and it you want it, we'll get it from stock. Just be careful not to ding anything, Couldn't have been more the opposite than your experience.

That said, haven't been in there for ten months...could be all change now.
P[/quote]

Thats the one where a few years back I brought a Behringer head as a backup...plugged it in there and it worked fine, took it home and plugged it in and nuthin...dead as a dodo.

When I read the t&cs on the back of the reciept there was the immortal paragraph which went something like

"Dawsons accepts no responsibility for advice given by any member of staff regarding whether a product is suitable for use." A.K.A. don't rely on a member of staff to give you good advice.

I sent it into Trading Standards, as I was a bit pissed by this point! I got my money back and I [i]think[/i] that caveat got taken off the reciepts.

Last time I went in there tho, it'd definately changed it's act and as NancyJohnson said, it's very laid back re. trying out gear!

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='281668' date='Sep 11 2008, 10:22 AM']Thats the one where a few years back I brought a Behringer head as a backup...plugged it in there and it worked fine, took it home and plugged it in and nuthin...dead as a dodo.

When I read the t&cs on the back of the reciept there was the immortal paragraph which went something like

"Dawsons accepts no responsibility for advice given by any member of staff regarding whether a product is suitable for use." A.K.A. don't rely on a member of staff to give you good advice.

I sent it into Trading Standards, as I was a bit pissed by this point! I got my money back and I [i]think[/i] that caveat got taken off the reciepts.

Last time I went in there tho, it'd definately changed it's act and as NancyJohnson said, it's very laid back re. trying out gear![/quote]

My local one definatly isn't laid back and there isn't any excuse for it. I asked to play a Deluxe P bass in there once and the answer was 'Will be you be buying it?' :)

[quote]bought the 2005 Ltd 'ray off them on the day they opened, I was apparently the first person to buy anything 'good' off them! I was tempted to blow my credit rating on that black Lakland DJ they had in a while ago too.

And yeah, good to see there's not just me here representing our cultural capital! Would I know you from any bands round here?[/quote]

I gave that lakland serious consideration too! Oddly enough there's a blue one in Dawsons at the moment but it's practically hanging off the ceiling and I seriously doubt the staff would want to climb up and get it down for you.

I used to be in a band a good 18 months ago but I'm not anymore. How 'bout you?

Edited by Waldo

They do seem to have chilled out a bit now... my drummer is prone to going in there and getting horrendous ESP's down, and abusing everyones ears with metal riffs, and they've never give him a hard time about it. Think it depends who's working. Terry's proper sound, but he's always downstairs these days.

Dawsons may not be the best line of music shops in the country but the chester branch is an excellent store imo, the staff are very helpful and eager to let you try out whatever you want, I've jammed with staff members before now and they're pretty good at playing and know what they're talking about. The range of basses is sub par but they're not really a dedicated 'guitar shop' and they do carry a lot of stuff that most other music shops don't. Admittedly they're overpriced too so I don't buy all my stuff there, I get various midi accessories and an occasional bit of bass gear there though just so that I'm not that guy who always tries out all the stuff then goes and buys it on the internet.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='281726' date='Sep 11 2008, 12:01 PM']Dawsons may not be the best line of music shops in the country but the chester branch is an excellent store imo, the staff are very helpful and eager to let you try out whatever you want, I've jammed with staff members before now and they're pretty good at playing and know what they're talking about. The range of basses is sub par but they're not really a dedicated 'guitar shop' and they do carry a lot of stuff that most other music shops don't. Admittedly they're overpriced too so I don't buy all my stuff there, I get various midi accessories and an occasional bit of bass gear there though just so that I'm not that guy who always tries out all the stuff then goes and buys it on the internet.[/quote]

Yeah gotta agree with that assessment of the Chester store, haven't really been into many to find out.

Though Guitar Experience are much friendlier again! Though very little in the way of basses stocked again.

Edited by simwells

[quote name='Waldo' post='281701' date='Sep 11 2008, 11:14 AM']My local one definatly isn't laid back and there isn't any excuse for it. I asked to play a Deluxe P bass in there once and the answer was 'Will be you be buying it?' :)[/quote]

I always answer "I won't know if I haven't played it".

Failing that I go see Alex at the Bass Gallery, they've got an exceptional stock of basses.

I agree with the lack of stuff in the Liverpool Dawson's, but when I went to the Manchester store to buy my Squier Deluxe Jazz V they were very helpful, got me a stool, lead and Trace combo after I asked "Would it be possible for me to try this Squier?". Then I'd finished and the same guy took through the rest of the sale with me, with some light hearted banter, and how much the staff and a few of his friends liked the bass for the money (plus they had it on sale at £199.99). Not a complaint from me!

[quote name='simwells' post='281821' date='Sep 11 2008, 01:26 PM']Yeah gotta agree with that assessment of the Chester store, haven't really been into many to find out.

Though Guitar Experience are much friendlier again! Though very little in the way of basses stocked again.[/quote]

Cool, I never really liked that shop too much but theres some cool stuff to be found occasionally in the pawn shops on that row. Back Alley Music has really cool staff too and a great selection of guitars and moderate selection of basses.

I think the guys in the Stockport Dawsons store get extra commision if they flog Farida's. Went in to buy a lowish budget acoustic guitar and got the sales pitch on Faridas. Eventually spoke to four different guys, three determined to plug Faridas. Only one guy gave what I though to be a honest opinion. Ended up with a Tanglewood TW155ST. Nice guitar for £225

[quote name='simwells' post='281821' date='Sep 11 2008, 01:26 PM']Yeah gotta agree with that assessment of the Chester store, haven't really been into many to find out.

Though Guitar Experience are much friendlier again! Though very little in the way of basses stocked again.[/quote]

I went in there a while back and they had a second hand,battered fender jazz(mim) on sale for 300quid which i thought was way too much,considering back alley sell new ones for 359,anyway i am sure they have shut down now!!!!

[quote name='craigjf1969' post='283586' date='Sep 14 2008, 11:26 AM']I went in there a while back and they had a second hand,battered fender jazz(mim) on sale for 300quid which i thought was way too much,considering back alley sell new ones for 359,anyway i am sure they have shut down now!!!![/quote]

IMO Back Alley is well overpriced too.