Why become a member? ×

Promoter please?

bassboy115

Ive been ringing around a couple of different venues in birmingham and wolves and basically im gettin the same answer every time...'you need to do it through an agent'

basically i was just wondering how do i go about getting promoted im guessing we play as many gigs as possible and just try and promote ourselves as much as we can... but iv got a couple of questions:

Do promoters usually approach you or is it advised to drop them an email?
Do they cost generally and how much?
What should i do to draw attention of any good promoters?...

and does anybody know the names of any good ones in the midlands area?

Thanks
Alex

Edited by bassboy115

Check the venue's listings pages on their site. There you'll find the names of the regular promoters. Then check for their myspace page. Then send them a message and get them to check out your myspace page. Tell them how many people you can get to come down too.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='29191' date='Jul 9 2007, 05:31 PM']You doing originals or covers?[/quote]

Both...at the moment were playin pubs so covers are needed but we can play prob about 30 mins set of our own stuff at the mo...but were still writing.

Ive just bin on the phone to the birmingham Irish centre and they gave me the name 'Arthur Tap' but no number. Ill have a look on the venue myspace's now.

Do they usually charge and how much would you say is a good price?

The only problem we have is that we havent got any recordings...we have got videos but were still looking for a way of getting it recorded :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='29202' date='Jul 9 2007, 05:46 PM']Promoters don't charge - they take all the money.[/quote]

What do u mean...i know they will atke money outta the gig but what do u mean all?

dont u get paid with a promoter?...not saying that we have to get or anything i just thought you did

I would have thought ud get paid.

Our old promoter just used to take a fixed % of the gross at the door. For the first couple of gigs we supported a couple of his other bands, I think (it was a while ago), so he could see what we were like. That, obviously, didn't involve getting paid.

Your local promoter, as far as I know, will take a % of the gross. You will have to pay for hire of the venue/PA (if thats involved).

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Edited by elliotminor

[quote name='bassboy115' post='29204' date='Jul 9 2007, 05:48 PM']What do u mean...i know they will atke money outta the gig but what do u mean all?

dont u get paid with a promoter?...not saying that we have to get or anything i just thought you did[/quote]

Different places, different rules. Majority of places, you just get a cut from the door after you get a certain number of people in. Some places charge you a "deposit fee" will you get back once you reach that magic number. (In my experience this is usually between 30-50). But my band have a strict no "pay-to-play" arrangement, and we tend to avoid these venues. Musicians Union believes it harms up and coming talent, and we agree.

The question is, are you asking the right promotors. If you're getting "You have to do it through an agent", perhaps you're aiming slightly too high... especially if you're just starting out as an originals band. Simply, you have to pay your dues. My band has. We started out at the bottom of the ladder, and we've managed to get a few nice gigs through word of mouth with a handful of promotors who we are close with. So there's a good tip, find a promotor who likes you.

[quote name='bassboy115' post='29200' date='Jul 9 2007, 05:43 PM']Do they usually charge and how much would you say is a good price? The only problem we have is that we havent got any recordings...we have got videos but were still looking for a way of getting it recorded :)[/quote]
Ones that do covers offer usually offer you a gig for a "net" price, which is after they've taken their cut. It's often higher than you'd get yourself if you approached the venue directly. Think of it like an actor having an agent. Without a decent demo CD, you're going to struggle getting a gig at the local pub. Ask around for local garden shed type studios near you. For £150 you can get a decent 4-track demo done which should get you loads of gigs. Take it out of the gig money at one gig and it's paid for. It'll more than pay for itself in the long run.

Edit: I should add that I'm talking about bands that do covers or tribute acts. Originals is a whole different kettle of fish and different rules apply.

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='29231' date='Jul 9 2007, 06:47 PM']Take it out of the gig money at one gig and it's paid for. It'll more than pay for itself in the long run.[/quote]

Yeah we are gonna do this weve got enough money to go in to the studio now

Were just waitin as were in a BOTB which one of the prizes is studio time so were gonna hang one!

If you're on the covers circuit, a lot of the chain pubs and larger places will only book through agents, and its strictly covers. Obviously for pubs booking entertainment themselves its a different ballgame, so ask them directly.

With regards to original music, most venues will either have inhouse promotions, or will have a number of promoters in the area that put events on there. So take the Barfly in Camden for example, as far as i know, it (or any barflys) doesn't have inhouse promotions, they deal with external promoters. One example who put nights on at the Camden Barfly is 'KBY Rocks', affiliated with Rocksound magazine. I've played a loada gigs with them, and they're great. Note that this is Original Music only!!

Just look up promotion companies on Myspace!!!

Si

p.s.
oh and usually, i would suggest that all promoters of live entertainment will want to hear a recording of you, unless perhaps if you get recommended by someone else, but even then it wouldn't surprise me if they asked for a recording

Edited by Sibob

Most of the other bands who gig with us on the toilet circuit don't get paid 'cos they don't get the minimum number of people in through the door. It's harsh but that's the way it is.

Don't book your band in to play Wembley Stadium unless you know you're going to get around 70,000 people in to see you.

Myspace is fantastic for finding gig promoters, including ones that only put on irregular gigs, as they all seem to have a myspace now.

Try looking at listings for gigs in the area you want, and then look up the venues myspace. The promoters are usually listed in the top friends.

Check the comments as well - promoters will often plug their events there, as will other local promoters at other venues.

Then repeat the process on every promising promoter and venue you find.

Be sure to check their music policy before hassling them - there's no point wasting everyone's time if they aren't likely to put on the type of music you do.

To kick you off try taking a look at [url="http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=groups.groupProfile&groupID=103829548&Mytoken=7ED6F78D-9D28-45D7-8A537F148A6849D14778330"]http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseac...8A6849D14778330[/url]

The Drowned in Sound music board is quite good (if very indie-centric), as its populated with quite a few promoters and bands. A recent thread by the guy who started the myspace West Midlands Gigs group. [url="http://www.drownedinsound.com/articles/2153721"]http://www.drownedinsound.com/articles/2153721[/url]

Oh yeah, you do really need to get a demo sorted before contacting promoters. You'll find some won't give you the time of day if you don't.