Why become a member? ×

The avoidance of insufferability

colgraff

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1446746951' post='2902041']
It could be true. It also helps that you are in the so called 27 club i guess. Who knows in which direction he might have gone if he never died young. He died as a superstar, but if he had survived, he could have ended up as a washed up has been. He was obviously great before he died, as you don`t get to be the main act for Woodstock when you have all the bands on there.
Although i like Janis Joplin, I am not sure she would have had the same impact if she was still alive today.
[/quote]

Interesting, If he had stayed with us I would haver rathered he fade away instead of becoming old time hack.

Blue

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1446821052' post='2902654']
Very true! I don't agree with much of what Mr Bruce said, but I have to say I always regarded Mr McCartney as being of very modest gifts...
[/quote]

Regardless, McCartney helped define what a lot of us baby boomers were going to do with the rest of our lives.

Blue

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1446838059' post='2902849']
Slagging off McCartney. 'Forgive them father, for they know not what they do.'
[/quote]

Slag off McCartney to yur heart's content, I can think of many criticisms myself, but let's have a reasoned account and not just emotional nonsense that everything he did was banal and cliched.

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1446811535' post='2902511']
McCartney doesn't count. Even if he died today, everything he's ever done has "trite" and "banal" and "cliche-ridden" stamped all over it in 20-foot letters. Iconic? Never was, never will be IMHO
[/quote]

While I find 99.9% of The Beatles as a group, recordings boring or unmoving I do have respect for McCartney's playing in that he does do a lot of tasty lines, few of which are generic, and did it consistently for many years - which isn't bad for a guy who can't read or write music and according to his ex still can't. There must be a lot of natural born talent in there.