Why become a member? ×

P bass neck like a stingray?

No. 8 Wire

The gold pickguard looks great on these (on sunburst or blonde that is, not fiesta red!), and that's coming from someone who hates gold.

I was just going to suggest buying this road worn neck, but it looks like you're already sorted!

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/271884-neck-from-a-fender-50s-roadworn-series-precision-bass

Gold is not my thing either, just looks a bit flashy for me. If I really hate it, I have a black one lying round somewhere.

Thanks to the link to the roadworn neck, looks great but don't need it now. Probably a bit over the top to put that on a clean looking Squier anyway.

I've got my Squier for sale now, so hopefully someone picks that up and enjoys it. I see plenty of people looking for P Basses with Jazz width necks, so hopefully one of them finds the ad.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1446831300' post='2902790']
[Does it still sound like a p bass when running off a single coil?]

Yes, in single coil it sounds like an early 50s P, in parallel very close to a split coil P (perhaps a little tighter due to the non-staggered poles), series gives a bit more heft and grunt but it's still very 'P-like'. It retains the essential characteristics of a P, all very no-nonsense, just plug it in and go.
[/quote]

I like it and it sounds really versatile, but for some reason it messes with my head when I look it - its like that Heston Blumental Bacon and Egg Icecream. It looks like it should be a P Bass, but it tastes like something else!

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1446831268' post='2902789']
Honey Blonde, arriving next week, a used one.

Not sure about the gold pick guard though.
[/quote]

Nice!
what I really disliked was the touch, more than the look (which I didn't like either)... a white or black one would make it looke amazing :)

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1446801022' post='2902393']
It has a series/parallel/coil split switch and a regular tone control with a .33 cap. I may experiment with the wunkay tone circuit as a next step but for the moment I'm plenty happy with it as it is :). (sorry if this is a bit off topic)
[/quote]

Beautiful L1000 on eBay UK at the moment.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281827714090&alt=web

Is that an ebony board? Haven't paid much attention to these basses until you guys mentioned it on here.

Edited by No. 8 Wire

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1447079386' post='2904629']

Nice!
what I really disliked was the touch, more than the look (which I didn't like either)... a white or black one would make it looke amazing :)
[/quote]

Really looking forward to it now. I Can see the black guard going on there pretty quick, probably at the same time the TI flats go on.

Hope it arrives when the wife is out... as I haven't sold the Jap Squier yet.

"...Beautiful L1000 on eBay UK at the moment.."

Yes, this popped up while I was putting together my P1000, I've been watching it for some time! Very early one with slot screws for the pole pieces before they switched to hex. Board is rosewood I think. Really nice example from the look of it.