Why become a member? ×

A new direction

BassBus

This is my first attempt at something with a bit of ambient to it. I'd appreciate a bit of feedback on it, constructive of course. Is it worth it? Should I pursue it? I like the way it has turned out but as always beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. This recording lark is also an ongoing learning process and there is a lot to be said for a bit of compression. Forgive the poor sound quality towards the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ7_V4V6eeo

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1445810882' post='2894463']...I'd appreciate a bit of feedback on it, constructive of course...
[/quote]

Your wish is granted (be careful what you wish for..? ;) )

Yes, it works. Yes, it works well. It is a brave thing to do all that, live, before a camera, and then ask for appraisal. It does sometimes, though, pay to take risks. In this case, it's a definite 'thumbs up'. It's a show piece, which could (as always...) be brushed up for public consumption, but demonstrates aptly your ability to cater for several activities at the same time; playing (of course..!), listening to what you've played (somewhat rare on occasions...), executing deft footwork (nice swells, too...) and even going as far as touching your toes (well, that's what it looks like..!). If there is a lesson to be learned, I'd suggest the old adage of 'less is more', but as a 'trial run', I'd also say that there was much promise shown. It's difficult, for common mortals at least, to maintain interest and give impulsion to a piece based on a mono-chord or unchanging riff, but modern technology enables us now to flit from loop to loop and introduce evolution into the composition. Good work, say I, and ample proof of possibilities much farther still, and not very far off. Well done; thanks for sharing.
(I'm still waiting for the drums to come in, though... :D )

Thanks ambient, good coming from a fellow ambient fan. I would,love to do more but it just depends on my fingers landing on the right places on the neck.

I sent this to an elderly friend of mine. She tells me she wants it played at her funeral. You can imagine the emotions now attached to it. Gulp!