Why become a member? ×

Polising Nitro

Owen

I have an old Jazz. I lent it to a student. It now seems to have a tough to shift layer of grime on it and the neck, which was down to bare wood many years ago feels dry :) What do I use to clean it? The paint is nitro and is trashed beyond, but I could really do without the grime aspect. I have tried Dunlop 65 guitar polish because I had some lying around but it does not seem to have done the trick.

I am aware that lending it out was risky at best.

TIA

Edited by owen

[quote name='owen' post='279323' date='Sep 7 2008, 08:50 PM']I have an old Jazz. I lent it to a student. It now seems to have a tough to shift layer of grime on it and the neck, which was down to bare wood many years ago feels dry :) What do I use to clean it? The paint is nitro and is trashed beyond, but I could really do without the grime aspect. I have tried Dunlop 65 guitar polish because I had some lying around but it does not seem to have done the trick.

I am aware that lending it out was risky at best.

TIA[/quote]

I used WD40 to shift the wee bits of grime that came with my used highway 1...it has a nitro finish...don't blame me if it has any adverse effects though :huh:

You could try these to clean the dirt off the finish of the bass:

Fog the area with your breath like you clean a pair of glasses. Then wipe with a dry rag.

Try a small rag which is just [b]very slightly damp [/b]with very hot water. Wipe it on and wipe it off with a clean, dry rag. If that doesn't work use some saliva (yup, saliva) and then try again with the hot rag treatment.

You can use lighter fluid (naptha) to clean really dirty areas. Use sparingly and wipe it off again with a dry rag straightaway.

Edited by 7string

I don't know about the body but I have used beeswax on a neck I have. I used Lord Sheratons pure beeswax balsem from Wilkinsons, applied it with very fine wire wool (it contains turps). I then applied some Briwax which is also beeswax but buffs up to a sort of gloss. I was amazed at the finish I got.

[quote name='markytbass' post='279426' date='Sep 7 2008, 11:47 PM']I don't know about the body but I have used beeswax on a neck I have. I used Lord Sheratons pure beeswax balsem from Wilkinsons, applied it with very fine wire wool (it contains turps). I then applied some Briwax which is also beeswax but buffs up to a sort of gloss. I was amazed at the finish I got.[/quote]
Yeah, that stuff is good, i've only ever tried it on raw wood though.

0000 grade wire wool the (finest you can find.... this stuff is pretty good [url="http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=23679&name=wire+wool&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=44)"]http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_...=1&jump=44)[/url]

Use this with methanol to shift the grime from the neck. Then a good soft wax polish (wax mixed with turpentine) using the the wire wool then stiff brush to work the polish along the grain. (I favor this brand of soft polish but there are many other good about.
[url="http://www.johngrahamhardware.co.uk/stephensons_old_english.html"]http://www.johngrahamhardware.co.uk/stephe...ld_english.html[/url]

Then when it is clean and with a soft sheen to it use a harder wax polish like liberon and buff it up to a real shine.

Alternatively if you dont want to have to repeat this process every few years consider a nitro coat on the neck or if you dont like a very smooth sprayed finish consider a wiped on coat or two of something like rustins plastic coating this stuff has really impressed me.

all the best
Pete

Edited by Peaty