Why become a member? ×

Volume and tone pots turn at a slight angle

markdavid

Hi

I have recently purchased a bass and have found that the volume and tone controls/pots seem to be slightly angled causing the volume and tone to turn at a slight angle, the bass is a very inexpensive one so i am not that bothered about it as it is acceptable for what i paid and other than that the bass is great , sounds great, plays well, however it is a little annoying.
Has anyone had this issue with any of their basses and if so how did you fix it? I am thinking maybe a couple of washers between the control panel and the pots

Do you mean the shafts are at an angle to the scratchplate ?

There are locating lugs on the pots, which should go into little holes near the centre. Probably not in the holes, or the holes are just not there. Sometimes you cant fit new pots with them still there.

Either loosen the big nut and adjust, or break the lugs off with pliers.

[attachment=202878:Potentiometer.jpg]

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1445002473' post='2888080']
Are the pot shafts at an angle to the plate or body surface, so the knobs stay at the same angle all the time, or are the knobs at an angle on the shafts so they kinda wobble as you turn them?
[/quote]
Hi the pot shafts are at an angle to the plate

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1445002725' post='2888083']
Do you mean the shafts are at an angle to the scratchplate ?

There are locating lugs on the pots, which should go into little holes near the centre. Probably not in the holes, or the holes are just not there. Sometimes you cant fit new pots with them still there.

Either loosen the big nut and adjust, or break the lugs off with pliers.
[/quote]
Thanks, I have already taken the lugs off with pliers (the angle was worse originally) but the pots are still at a slight angle

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1445002899' post='2888086']
Thanks, I have already taken the lugs off with pliers (the angle was worse originally) but the pots are still at a slight angle
[/quote]

it's possible then, that when tightening the pot on the PG the spindle of the pot has been bent. The answer is to change the pot.

• 3 weeks later...