Why become a member? ×

Cruises - just missed out on one - will be going at some point!

Telebass

So what are the tips and tricks for this kind of gig? For this band, I already know that sight-reading is not needed, but I still need to read chord symbols off the sheets, and this I've done before, so should be OK.

I'm advised that it's normally instrument only, backline provided. That worries me a bit...However, I doubt the circumstances are identical on every cruise, so...

Grateful for your thoughts!

A few friends of mine do it. Generally I think the best preparation is to brush up on your reading, as sometimes you can be playing as part of 5 or 6 different bands on one cruise, meaning 5 or 6 different pads with 30 - 40 songs each, and it would be impossible to perfect in advance.

Make sure to have fun when you are out there! Great experience by all accounts.

• 1 month later...

Currently on a Princess Cruise.

Depending on your gig it depends what you need.

For Party band, you just need a good rep, over 300 songs will be fine, with some good ballroom numbers.

If your in the house band, reading is a must. You'll be doing jazz every night, and every other night you'll be backing a guest entertainer, you'll get the sheet music 1/3 hours before a rehearsal then the show is that night.

Reading I'll say is deffo recommended.