Why become a member? ×

How do 'You' set up your bass?

Number6

I used to have the action as low as humanly possible, but for the last few years, I've lifted it so that I don't get clicks and buzz. I find it's a much better all round sound now. I use rounds exclusively and am quite partial to some distortion thrown in these days although not too much !

High action, 40-100 XL's.
No fret buzz if I play over the bridge pup, a little bit of buzz when I dig in playing over the neck pup. I like a bit of sizzle under the guitar solos.
People say that my bass sounds great. The thirty-odd years trying to get it to sound great may have something to do with it though.

My action is quite medium/low to me but probably higher than some people would like. I'm quite heavy handed both with finger style or a pick, so it's more important for me to get buzz free notes than to have super slinky action. I also go for medium amount of relief on the neck - definitely a visible slope when sited along the fingerboard - to get a good bit of clearance.

I've used 40-100 round wounds until recently, when I swapped to 45-105 for some depping work tuned to Eb, and found I actually preferred the extra meat anyway.

My two main basses (Fender Ps) have been worked on a bit over the years (one had a refret and new nut, the other more than one fret dress) so they're probably pretty far away from how they left the factory.

Their lack of buzz etc is more down to the work of the pro luthier involved in the overall set up than my own minor tweaks since then.

Edited by bassbiscuits