Why become a member? ×

Sanding down a neck

Sambrook

I have a wonderful Ibanez Portamento throughneck, and I love everything about it except the finish on the back of the neck- I think they call it Cappucino, it wasn't too bad when it 2as satin, but use has turned it glossy- me no like.
It has a nice maple/bubinga neck, so my question is just this- is there anything better than sandpaper for taking off this finish? Ideally something I could paint on at night, and in the morning it's perfectly clean and bare...
Here's hoping

I had this problem with my old MM SUB and Fender Roadworn (on this the nitro was still sticky where it hadn't quite cured). Nitromors Professional, scrape that off, 0000 wire wool (cover the body in a bag as the 'wool' dust gets stuck to the p/ups) and then a light sealing with something like Danish Oil. Let that dry and knock it back a little bit with the 0000 gauge. Sorted.

[quote name='Sambrook' timestamp='1442049844' post='2864011']I think I'll go the Nitromors route
[/quote]Patience is key when stripping right back. From start to knocking back the final finish should be at least a week, at least this is what I found.