Why become a member? ×

What's this under my Stingray pickup?

ianrendall

Took the pickup out of my 2000 'Ray the other night to give the pole pieces a clean and found these numbers underneath. Any idea what they mean? Also took the neck off to have a look - looks like the body is '99 and the neck is '00.
[attachment=200424:A.jpg]
[attachment=200425:B.jpg]
[attachment=200426:C.jpg]

In my experience manufacturers of all sorts of products use labels and other marks to track the identity of component parts - doing so is vital for stock control, quality assurance, change control and general manufacturing management. In many plastic injection moulded or metallic cast parts for example you'll see the part number moulded in. So your Stingray label is almost certainly one used for internal manufacturing process control. As to what it means, who knows. It was important at the time the instrument was built but probably of no significance afterwards.

Same with the neck and body having different date stamps. It's all about the manufacturing process. Almost certainly, necks and bodies are made on different lines, after which they'll be held in stock till needed. When an order is received to build a bass, a body and a neck will be brought out of stock and bolted together on the assembly line. So there'd be nothing odd at all about the body and neck having different date stamps.

P

[quote name='ianrendall' timestamp='1441879131' post='2862488']
Took the pickup out of my 2000 'Ray the other night to give the pole pieces a clean and found these numbers underneath. Any idea what they mean? Also took the neck off to have a look - looks like the body is '99 and the neck is '00.
[attachment=200424:A.jpg]
[attachment=200425:B.jpg]
[attachment=200426:C.jpg]
[/quote]

The 110 70 20 02 is the build code - model; colour; neck; pick guard (02 is white I believe). The other number is the works order code. For anyone who has had a new Musicman delivered in the factory shipping box the codes appear on the labels on the box along with the serial number and other info.

The abbreviated body colour is normally stamped in the neck pocket and trans means a clear colour that you can see the wood grain through.

If you're interested in getting the full details on the bass EBMM Customer Services will give you that if you give them the serial number - similarly, you could post in the serial number thread on their bass forum.

It's seems to be very rare for the necks and bodies to have the same dates exactly as they both appear to be pulled from stock to match the order - presumably for the more popular colours like black, natural or sunburst, this would be especially likely.

Edited by drTStingray