Why become a member? ×

Anyone actually understand the Gallien Krueger on-board limiter?

goonieman

I'm the proud owner of a GK MB150E-III head. Great fun - with loadsa knobs and tweakability.

However, I can't - for the life of me - figure out this dang limiter control. I can't hear any squishiness when engaged, or anything for that matter.

I presume its designed as some kind of safety precaution to protect from overloads. It will act like a limiter should presumably, i.e. cutting or affecting major peak transients.

Personally, I can't get it to do anything (i'm mainly using headphones at the moment - maybe that's why? maybe the limiter doesn't route through to the headphone jack? I dunno....)

Anyone have hands-on experience? thx

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1441642413' post='2860524']
I'm the proud owner of a GK MB150E-III head. Great fun - with loadsa knobs and tweakability.

However, I can't - for the life of me - figure out this dang limiter control. I can't hear any squishiness when engaged, or anything for that matter.

I presume its designed as some kind of safety precaution to protect from overloads. It will act like a limiter should presumably, i.e. cutting or affecting major peak transients.

Personally, I can't get it to do anything (i'm mainly using headphones at the moment - maybe that's why? maybe the limiter doesn't route through to the headphone jack? I dunno....)

Anyone have hands-on experience? thx
[/quote]

Here's the User Manual, which explains all ...

[url="http://gallienkrueger.mivamerchant.net/wp-content/uploads/MB150-III-Manual.pdf"]GK User Manual ...[/url]

Only useful (if at all..?) with a cab, it reduces the amp power o/p from 150w to about 20w, progressively. Should be fully clockwise most of the time, unless you hear distortion. Hmm...

Edited by Dad3353