Why become a member? ×

Controlling high volume

Funky Dunky

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1441021846' post='2855362']
I wouldn't worry about it :) get out there and get playing in a band, its great fun and for me what it's all about :)

I've never had any complaints about my playing and my isolated bass tracks are full of squeaks and strings slapping the fretboard etc... It's inaudible in the mix and if you tired to cut it all out the track would probably sound dead and lifeless. Also, you learn proper muting techniques etc as you go.

Go for it, you're probably just as good as the rest of us :)
[/quote]

This :)

Thanks guys, some great advice here on all fronts. Rolling back the mids has helped big-time, it's not nearly as wild sounding - and my confidence has been given a boost with all the encouragement to get out there and play. Y'all are smashing :D

Edited by Funky Dunky

A couple of things since my last offering, Smaller cheaper practice size amps have all their volume in those mid to upper mids when you start to run out of steam, where our ears are most efficient almost like a guitar amp, so you may need to pick up a descent gig-able size combo ASAP and that may help with getting the sound you want, as far as flats I would steer you to half rounds first as these will be better suited to most music and cut down on hand noise as well and easier to slap when required.

all the best

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1440969724' post='2855049']
I'm a bedroom player who has the odd jam. My bass playing is really coming on, and I'm keen to take the plunge and start trying out for bands. I have one problem - volume. I can control my instrument perfectly well at bedroom volume, but when I get past a certain number on the dial, I get noises I struggle to control, as if every tiny little thing produces a noise. Even muting to control the noises seems to cause noise!

How do I tame 'er at high volume? I have to crank it through headphones to practice controlling it, but have you any tips you can share? Is there a pedal (noise gate etc) that can make it any easier?

Thanks guys.
[/quote]

I think it's a matter of... practice at volume.

When you turn up, you notice a lot more certain noises you would normally ignore at low volume... you'll have to adapt a bit how you play, how you mute strings, etc, when you play at higher volume, and the best way to achiev that is playing at higher volume repeatedly.
The good news is... you will probably do it without realising and in much shorter time than you think. I don't remember having had to try to be "cleaner". It just happened.

So don't get too worried, and keep at it. It'll sound cleaner each time you play.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1441018491' post='2855302']
Sterling SUB Ray 4 - active beast. The problem is with this bass. I also have a Squier VM Precision PJ, which is passive and doesn't give the same problems.
[/quote]

aha, so you're narrowing it down now... It sounds like it's not just the usual muting etc. Do you boost treble a lot on that bass? I hear that those basses have a particularly hot preamp, to the point that there is a thread on TalkBass where one of the main guys at SBMM posted a modification, with pictures, to tame the preamp a little. It was very simple, just adding a resistor at a particular spot... have a look.

If you have issues with this bass only, I think it's likely it's because of a combination of your settings (amp gain, treble/high mids EQ) and the hot preamp.

DB5 - that's really interesting to know about practice amps, and would go a long way to explaining things.

McNach - I'm thinking you're right. I'm only too aware of the hot preamp in the SUB Ray and I do tend to have it a bit trebley as I like the tone, but rolling it back does indeed kill a lot of the problems. As for the mod - is it wrong that I think Sterling should pick up the tab for this mod? Why should anyone buy a bass and then have to shell out more to have it tamed so it's fit for purpose and doesn't fart? In addition, 95% of the volume sweep does nothing! Sterling have known about these problems since the SUB Ray hit the market in 2012 and have done nothing about it! My bass is a 2014 model and it has the same flaws. Why would they do this? It's poor IMO. I love the bass but they really need to buck up their ideas when it comes to the electronics. Bear in mind I had to send mine back for repair as I was experiencing really quick battery drain.

Anyway....rant over :D

Thanks for your advice :)

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1441136327' post='2856404']
DB5 - that's really interesting to know about practice amps, and would go a long way to explaining things.

McNach - I'm thinking you're right. I'm only too aware of the hot preamp in the SUB Ray and I do tend to have it a bit trebley as I like the tone, but rolling it back does indeed kill a lot of the problems. As for the mod - is it wrong that I think Sterling should pick up the tab for this mod? Why should anyone buy a bass and then have to shell out more to have it tamed so it's fit for purpose and doesn't fart? In addition, 95% of the volume sweep does nothing! Sterling have known about these problems since the SUB Ray hit the market in 2012 and have done nothing about it! My bass is a 2014 model and it has the same flaws. Why would they do this? It's poor IMO. I love the bass but they really need to buck up their ideas when it comes to the electronics. Bear in mind I had to send mine back for repair as I was experiencing really quick battery drain.

Anyway....rant over :D

Thanks for your advice :)
[/quote]

I agree with you... they've known about it and they should have fixed it.
On the other hand, if you want quick results... sometimes you have to shrug and do it yourself. Fortunately this is a very simple/cheap operation!