Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frankenstein Project

Number6

Hi All,

I am thinking of doing a first time Frankenstein build and wondered if a J&D P or Jazz is a good foundation to start with?

I like the Surf Green Jazz they do and it's a very cheap way to get started.

My plan would be to source a neck, trick out the hardware and electrics etc and maybe a custom pickguard.

Thoughts please?

J&D basses are great, I owned a Surf green Jazz for a while and I've just completed a build using some J&D pickups and neck.

One thing to keep an eye out for is the curve at the heal of the neck, it may just be the combination of J&D neck and Squier body that I used that meant they didn't have quite the same radius which left a slight gap, nothing to worry about and it can be hidden under a custom pickguard.

Thank you Rumple.

The neck pocket is one of my concerns. I'm likely to use a J&D body (if i ever start this project) and source a maple Fender Jazz neck so hopefully the fit can be made good as too much of a gap would play on my mind lol :)

Edited by Number6

I know what you mean, I've mostly hidden the gap with the scratchplate on the finished bass, I doubt anyone would notice it but I know it's there.

Here's a pic from early on in the build when I was trying the parts out, the red arrows show where the neck touches the body stopping it moving any further towards the bridge and being a perfect fit.

[attachment=198753:gap.jpg]

The finished bass can be seen here:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/253154-frankenfanny-jazz-bass/page__st__60

I can't remember who it was but the BC member I bought the neck off of put a Status neck on his J&D body, if you can find him he might be able to shed some light on any possible pitfalls.

Well i wanted a Jazz Bass and i managed to pick this up in the local Crack Converts......

A Squier 2007 Frank Bello Signature Jazz Bass with PJ pickups in very very good condition barring a few marks to the back of the body. I paid £100 so don't know how good a deal that is but i'm happy with it so far.