Why become a member? ×

1" High Frequency Compression Driver

Jase

Ello,

When it comes to speakers, horns, cones etc, etc......I haven't a clue so If anybody could offer a little advice on the following I'd be more than grateful....ok here's what I'm wondering....can I remove the high frequency driver from my cab without causing any problems? It's possible I've blown it, the speakers all seem fine but there's a slight distortion coming from around the horn area. I've been in touch with Soundtech and just waiting for prices on spares etc but if I can whip it out without any adverse effects I'd rather do that....yes, I'm too tight to pay for a horn :)

yea, shouldn't be a problem. if you want to leave it that way, then bypass the crossover, if there is one. also, if you take the horn driver out of the cab entirely, be sure to find a way to seal the hole.

have you tried taking the horn out, and testing just the horn separately to see if it still has these distortion problems? usually when they, or any driver, goes, it will just entirely stop working altogether.

it could be possible that you have a loose baffle or seal in the cab near where the tweeter is, which at high volumes would produce a distorted sound.

If you do decide to splash out on a new driver look out for BMS, dont bother with the recomeded replacement thats likely to be a rip off.
I've been mega impressed by BMS, and reckon they are as good or better than Beyma/B&C but should cost conciderably less. If you go down the BMS road you shouldn't need a new crossover (use a driver with same impedance as old) because I'm fairly confident any of the 1'' CDs by them will be able to play lower and handle more power than what went befor, but you might need a new volume control if you dont have one already as their very efficent tho.

Saying that, for bass playing I'd just take the horn out, plug the hole and continue. :)

Edited by thomas

Thanks for the replies lads, I don't think it has a crossover...it's a VX810, unless I'm missing something?
I'll double check everything again but I 'm pretty sure there is nothing loose or vibrating, although I had the cab 2nd hand it's in great condition...the speakers still have a new smell about them, no rips, dents or cracks, so after the re-check, think I'll just whip it out!
cheers
Jase.

If the tweeter is a compression driver, there must be a crossover. If there is a crossover, there is likely to be a coil and/or a resistor across the positive and negative wires even after you disconnect the tweeter. To prevent these heating up you need to disconnect the HF section of the crossover at the input, i.e. cut the wires in front of the high pass section of the crossover.
If the manufacturer has just used a capacitor to protect the HF unit, or if it is a piezo, you'll be OK. Otherwise, you could set your speaker on fire.

[quote name='stevie' post='276533' date='Sep 3 2008, 07:37 PM']If the tweeter is a compression driver, there must be a crossover. If there is a crossover, there is likely to be a coil and/or a resistor across the positive and negative wires even after you disconnect the tweeter. To prevent these heating up you need to disconnect the HF section of the crossover at the input, i.e. cut the wires in front of the high pass section of the crossover.
If the manufacturer has just used a capacitor to protect the HF unit, or if it is a piezo, you'll be OK. Otherwise, you could set your speaker on fire.[/quote]

Cheers stevie, I'm not going to take it out, I'm pretty certain it's vibration.....from the speaker grill maybe, it's so much like a thin distortion it's quite odd! I'll make sure it's all screwed down again.

[quote name='Jase' post='276640' date='Sep 4 2008, 12:22 AM']Cheers stevie, I'm not going to take it out, I'm pretty certain it's vibration.....from the speaker grill maybe, it's so much like a thin distortion it's quite odd! I'll make sure it's all screwed down again.[/quote]

i had something similar to that on one of my cabs, bit of fiddling with the grill and the screws sorted it out. hope you have the same luck :)