Why become a member? ×

How do I get this tone

Guest MoJo

I'm not a fan of distorted bass. I much prefer a nice clean tone but the band I play with covers 'Under The Sky' by The Answer. In said song there is a tiny section where everything drops out except the bass. You can see/ listen to it at 2:48 in this [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL3gIO624X8"]YouTube video[/url]

I've tried to get something approximating this distorted tone using my GT-6B without any success (surprising considering the distortion/fuzz options on the GT-6B). It still needs to carry the weight but with that clipped distortion.

Any ideas what I could use to get this tone?

Cheers

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='bassman2790' post='273359' date='Aug 30 2008, 09:24 PM']I'm not a fan of distorted bass. I much prefer a nice clean tone but the band I play with covers 'Under The Sky' by The Answer. In said song there is a tiny section where everything drops out except the bass. You can see/ listen to it at 2:48 in this [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL3gIO624X8"]YouTube video[/url]

I've tried to get something approximating this distorted tone using my GT-6B without any success (surprising considering the distortion/fuzz options on the GT-6B). It still needs to carry the weight but with that clipped distortion.

Any ideas what I could use to get this tone?

Cheers[/quote]

Go for an Ibanez pd7 bass overdrive pedal, you can dial in distortion or overdrive without dumping the bass out of your sound as is a problem with the Boss overdrive ODB3 pedal. Plugging it into a guitar metal zone pedal you'll also lose the bass so Ibanez is your best bet.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='273362' date='Aug 30 2008, 09:36 PM']I have my P plugged into a Boss Metal Zone at the mo sounds very similar.[/quote]

[quote name='kevbass' post='273379' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:13 PM']Go for an Ibanez pd7 bass overdrive pedal, you can dial in distortion or overdrive without dumping the bass out of your sound as is a problem with the Boss overdrive ODB3 pedal. Plugging it into a guitar metal zone pedal you'll also lose the bass so Ibanez is your best bet.[/quote]

The Boss GT-6B models the Boss BD-2, OD-2, ODB-3, MT-2, the Marshall Guvnor, Fuzzface, the Acetone Fuzz and the Electro-Harmonix Big Muff plus two custom distortions that enables the user to choose from one of the previously mentioned models then adjust the amount of distortion affecting the high and low registers as well as allowing one to adjust the bass and treble tone values hence my surprise at being unable to get near this tone. I've never tried an Ibanez PD7. I'll have to see if one of the shops locally has one that I can try.

[quote name='kevbass' post='273379' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:13 PM']Go for an Ibanez pd7 bass overdrive pedal, you can dial in distortion or overdrive without dumping the bass out of your sound as is a problem with the Boss overdrive ODB3 pedal. Plugging it into a guitar metal zone pedal you'll also lose the bass so Ibanez is your best bet.[/quote]

Yeah to be honest I don't really use distorted bass but I had my les paul out earlier and the pedal was still out so I thought I would plug the bass into and see what it sounded like.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='273370' date='Aug 30 2008, 09:53 PM']just sounds like a regular overdriven P sound[/quote]

Are you saying that I need to overdrive a valve amp to get [u]that[/u] sound then? My Laney B1 has valve and FET preamp stages that can be used in exclusion or blended. The valve section has a DRIVE and a GAIN control. Increasing the drive does introduce distortion but, to my ears, it's not a very pleasant distortion

Edited by bassman2790

are you kidding me??? iv owned both, at the same time, and the bottom end of the odb-3 is just far better and more defined than the pd7, which sounds like a behringer in comparison imo. how can you say that it 'dumps the bass out of your sound' when it has a wet/dry blend AND a low eq boost?!

the pd7 definatly wasnt for me, i found the distortion to be too high middy, which i hate, but of course one man's carragher is another man's ferdinand...

[quote name='bassman2790' post='273389' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:58 PM']Are you saying that I need to overdrive a valve amp to get [u]that[/u] sound then? My Laney B1 has valve and FET preamp stages that can be used in exclusion or blended. The valve section has a DRIVE and a GAIN control. Increasing the drive does introduce distortion but, by my ears, it's not a very pleasant distortion[/quote]
i think what i mean is, for that tone, itd have to be a passive p bass running into a generic bass overdrive/distortion, its nothing special, but i think you wouldnt get the tone unless you had a precision pickup. i could be wrong, it is a VERY short little section :)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='273411' date='Aug 30 2008, 11:31 PM']i think what i mean is, for that tone, itd have to be a passive p bass running into a generic bass overdrive/distortion, its nothing special, but i think you wouldnt get the tone unless you had a precision pickup. i could be wrong, it is a VERY short little section :)[/quote]

It is a Precision that I'm playing :huh:

[quote name='johnnylager' post='273481' date='Aug 31 2008, 07:31 AM']:) Snob! SansAmp or Hyperdrive?[/quote]
haha! i have two pedals, a boss and a zoom, i am one of the least snobby effects people in this forum!! behringer do great effects, but their overdrive effect is just sh*te, which is what i was reffering to

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='273507' date='Aug 31 2008, 09:08 AM']Btw, I think it might be on more places in the song he uses it if not the entire song! you can hear this around 3:27 as well[/quote]
it isn't an effect its just the amp hes using

Sounds to me like a driven Ampeg. I would have thought they've double tracked it, one channel naughty like that, the other somewhat cleaner blended through the verses and chorus to keep the warm bottom end then obviously exposed for those quieter parts but whadda I know...

I've been speaking to Neil Murray (ex Whitesnake, Colosseum etc etc) and he seems to think it's an overdriven amp, possibly an Ampeg too and as I can't afford to fork out for an Ampeg, he's kindly given me pointers to how I might get near the sound.

Thanks for all your posts :)

[quote name='ruztiwarren' post='274700' date='Sep 1 2008, 04:18 PM']why don't you try contacting the band and asking what equipment he uses. this is the age of my space etc.[/quote]

It's worth a go, just to set the record straight.

Mark

[quote name='ben604' post='273581' date='Aug 31 2008, 10:53 AM']Sounds to me like a driven Ampeg. I would have thought they've double tracked it, one channel naughty like that, the other somewhat cleaner blended through the verses and chorus to keep the warm bottom end then obviously exposed for those quieter parts but whadda I know...[/quote]

+1, sounded like 2 channels like that on the verses to me too... Don't know about chorus though, didn't notice it through my bad headphones at work...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='273408' date='Aug 30 2008, 11:29 PM']are you kidding me??? iv owned both, at the same time, and the bottom end of the odb-3 is just far better and more defined than the pd7, which sounds like a behringer in comparison imo. how can you say that it 'dumps the bass out of your sound' when it has a wet/dry blend AND a low eq boost?!

the pd7 definatly wasnt for me, i found the distortion to be too high middy, which i hate, but of course one man's carragher is another man's ferdinand...[/quote]

LOL here we go gain...

[size=4][b]IMO[/b][/size]

The PD7 is the best you can buy for that kind of price. That's some PHAT, punchy, LOW-mid-rich distortion. I think you need to buy a bigger combo.
Downsides are it kills the dynamics a bit (sounds overly compressed).
The Distortion setting is very good, the Overdrive setting is ok but the Attack setting is useless.

I think neither the PD7 or the ODB-3 lose low end. However, the ODB-3 ADDS high end, so maybe that's why people have that impression.

But all this is irrelevant to the topic at hand, as I don't think you can get even closer to that tone with any of them...

Edited by 1976fenderhead