Why become a member? ×

Are you self-taught?

interpol52

I'm self taught, had an hour lesson once, picked bits up here, there and everywhere. I've finally begun to get a firmer foundation in terms of theory and learning to read music as well
but self taught so I've really got noone else to blame for my cack handedness.

I've never found anything else in life I enjoy more than playing bass though and wish I'd had a proper musical education or structured lessons.

Asked the music teacher at school once, she drew the stave on the black board and didn't think it was worthwhile finding a tutor for guitar/bass despite me being more than happy to pay.
Still pisses me off twenty years later, in the five years of school music lessons all we ever did was copy biographical information about composers from a text book to our work books, never played us a note
of their music. I don't know when that teacher lost her passion for music or indeed teaching but she did every pupil she taught a disservice.
We had a suite of practice rooms with drums, guitars, woodwind, strings, brass, everything, all gathering dust :(

I started on bass when I was about 16 and have never had any lessons. However prior to that I had many years of classical training on trombone and piano, and spent a lot of time playing the 'bone in orchestras, brass bands and big bands (Glenn Miller type stuff)