Why become a member? ×

Compressor upgrade

Thunderbird

[size=5]Hi guys I am currently using a Behringer DC-9 Compressor pedal and I am enjoying playing about with it but now I am looking to upgrade a bit to get more functionality or different kinds of sound I am on a budget and I am pondering these[/size]

[size=5][color=#333333]Moen MO-UC Unicomp[/color][/size]

[size=5][color=#333333]Budda Chakra Compressor [/color][/size]

[size=5][color=#333333] They both have great reviews on the net But am I just wasting my time and money? or should I stick with the DC-9. I dont really understand the black arts of compression but I know what I like the sound of :) Thanks in advance.[/color][/size]

Edited by Thunderbird

With compressors what controls you have and what metering you have available is very important.I would recommend a compressor that has atleast threshold ratio switch(though preferably dial) attack release and make-up gain(end volume). You will probably also need atleast an LED to show you how much compression you are applying (brighter=more compression/duller=less).
Compression is one of those things that is hard to set up if you are just listening to the sound, especially if your the one playing as you will end up adjusting your volume as you tweak the settings.
[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]Ovnilab[/url] is a great place for compressor reviews/knowledge/tips, so you should probably check that out.

Edit: Thought id mention what compressor i use, its a markbass compressore, and love it.

Edited by elephantgrey

My first comp was the DC9 as well. I used it to even out the levels a bit which it did quite nicely. Upgraded to the Aguilar TLC after scouring ovnilabs, and it does more of the same but you can put it to more extreme settings. The market has massively opened up in the last few years though so you really can't go wrong easily!

I`m not very good with compression Paul, but having had a few which I`ve used purely to even the sound out, the DC9 was as good as any. If looking for a different use the possibly worth looking around, but for an always on/control peaks type of pedal, the DC9 was great. Must admit I really liked the Aguilar TLC when I tried it at the LBGS - probably cos I was shown how to set it properly.