Why become a member? ×

Considering a DI & Compressor - should I bother?

smaz

I'm toying with getting a DI pedal & a compressor. I've just bought a pedaltrain nano +, and have some spare space so it's not a hassle to have more.

I currently have:

TC Spark Booster - mainly used for a bit more 'oomph', a kick up the backside during certain parts of songs. I'm toying with using this as my main drive pedal too, as I like a bit of that but not too much

EBS Billy Sheehan Drive - I used this before I bought the the Spark Booster, the SB was meant to replace this but I may keep both. It was again for the kick up the backside during certain songs. The band I'm in only has one guitarist, so where I felt things needed packing out I thought a bit of drive & clean boost was needed.

TC Polytune.

I'm considering:

A DI pedal: We're currently playing a lot of gigs where there's 3 - 4 bands playing, gigs in London where we have to get the train, or gigs where I have to use the house rig. I'm considering a DI for the London gigs, to make life much easier, or for when there's 3 - 4 bands playing so I haven't got to lug around so much gear for just 30 - 45 minute sets. I'm not *too* precious about my sound - whilst I love my rig, if I can avoid driving & have a beer, I'm happy!

However I have an orange terror head, which has a DI out. I could just use that for when I need one?

A compressor: I play a few different basses, so considering something that will keep everything balanced. I also don't like how thing/weak D & G strings sound sometimes, so having them boosted by the compressor (possibly) would help. My band are getting bigger & better gigs, so if a compressor would be beneficial in keeping our sound tight & consistent, I'll get one.

I only play P-Basses, all strung with flatwounds:
JV Squier
Lakland Duck Dunn
Fender US-P
Fender A/E fretless

Music wise, we're Blues/Rock - you can get a glimpse on Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/artist/3Jud1WmElq2q5EoYZxsmfV?play=true
We're on itunes & everywhere else too.

This is more ramblings than questions I guess - just wondering if people have any ideas/recommendations or in a similar situation?

I think both are a good idea.

If you get something like the MXR Preamp you can use it to EQ your sound when you're going through your normal amp, like an active bass pre amp, then use the DI out as backup if your Orange head blew up mid gig or if you weren't using an amp like you mentioned above. Then if you did just rely on the FOH system you can still EQ the DI signal.

I'm also a big fan of using a compressor with a bass. Just helps keep everything level, especially when using fingers.

Certainly a DI is worth having - I`m doing a London gig this eve with a provided rig, and as my DI/preamp pedal is the same as my amp - Aguilar Tonehammer - I just plug in, DI from the pedal to FOH, set all amp eq flat, and I get my sound to both my ears, and more importantly the audience. A Behringer BDI21 would be worth getting - not too much money at all, and warm enought to have a good go at replicating the Terrors sound.

Compressor - well this is one of those areas where some really benefit, depending on style, and others don`t. I like it on recordings but not for live use, though in fairness that`s probably more down to me not understanding how to set it properly.

Then there`s always the Zoom B3 - has amp-modelling, compression, tuner, DI, plus many effects/drives etc. A great bit of kit, especially ideal for travelling light.

Of course, I forgot about using the DI as a backup if the amp blew up, and I like to have safety nets!

I absolutely love the sound of the Terror, so I'll check out a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Behringer BDI21 - many thanks![/font][/color]

I think a compressor can be really useful if you have different sounds for different songs. I have about 4 or 5 slightly different sounds - picking or fingerstyle, effects on or off - and the compressor really does seem to do it's job and keep things even. I use a dbx 160A rackmount one as it hardly change the sound at all, just compresses it (which seems about right to me!).

That comes at the cost of losing a bit of the dynamics, but then I tend to want those preserved more on the quieter stuff anyway, so I try and have it so the compressor does nothing on the quiet stuff and gradually kicks in as things get more aggressive.