Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

EMG Variable Mid-Control - quick review

goonieman

Folks - I tell ya - bit of a happy accident receiving this '96 warwick corvette with a previously undisclosed secret that was harbouring an EMG VMC instead of bass/treble preamp. I did not even know what it was, but described it as a mid-boost, then it was identified on this very forum...

I'd still like the push/pull active/pasive, but the simplicity of VMC, balance and Vol is refreshing and addictive!

What i've realised is that instead of tinkering for ages with bass and treble, which don't necessarily SCULPT sound that much, I can set those on the amp. I can then get to the real tone shaping with the parametric mid-sweep in the VMC.

Cutting and boosting between 100hz and 1kz brings an amazing variety of more growl, less growl, scoop, and accent.

I might be tempted to just leave it in there! Can't see any downsides, other than it's hard to set and remember what setting did what. Numbered knobs would be nice to assist in this respect... but that is getting a little neurotic.

Anyone else have one of these? Experiences?

Not the EMC one, but ever since I discovered the variable mid control in the East U-Retro preamp, I've never looked back - I've fitted it into all four of my main basses. Invaluable for live work: I can change my sound completely from the bass on the fly, I never touch my amp any more. The East knobs have centre detents and are marked, so that makes things easier, but ears is the best way.

Wow - that East U-retro is a beast! 3 stacked, with bright push-pull on the treble, and all sorts of contour ranges built-in! I now am beginning to realise the genius of Mr. East.

...and yeah, I've now realised the tone shaping is really best conducted via a VMC control, whereas bass/treble cut/boost just add sizzle or thump (for the most part - contours will vary).

I still somehow feel like i'm missing out without bass/treble. The grass is always greener. Must control...the... G....A....S....

Is this the same variable mid control found in the BQC/BQS preamps, just used in isolation? Seems to have the same frequency range/boost and cut levels according to the graphs on the user manuals.

In that case then yes, the EMG mid control is a lot of fun - even after you stop putting the mids to max boost then rotating the sweep ring for a wah-like effect ;)

I would like one of those also. I got the EMG "enhance" control on a used bass. It boosted lows and treble both when turned up. When it was below half-way it cut bass and treble and left the mids only. Mine started distorting and I bypassed it. Now I have a real clean-sounding Guild Pilot with no tone control. Does your mid-sweep have a stacked pot?

Edited by grenadilla

yeah, the mid-sweep is stacked. but it would be awesome if the freq selector (bottom pot) had, say, 4-5 indents on it in order to help memorise where you are.

Easy enough to say 'add until it sounds good' but its not always as easy as that if using on the fly

I added a John-East mids module to my fretless Warwick streamer, in addition to the stock MEC 2-band EQ (and also wired everything at 18v). The mids module has totally enhanced the sound and is super useful for fretless. I hear what you're saying about frequency positions / gain - I haven't touched my EQ for months, for this very reason! I'd keep it, I think it would indeed do more of the "heavy-lifting" when it comes to tone sculpting than the Bass/Treble stack.