Why become a member? ×

Power amp for Ampeg SVP PRO

kure

Hello,

I'm new here and hoping to get some help from you guys. I plan to purchase an Ampeg SVP PRO preamp. My question goes to the ones that have experience with this preamp plugged into the power amp, meaning which model was it, on which box. Also, I'm interested in all the up and down sides of the preamp.

Thanks,

Kure

Excellent bit of kit, you probabaly know it's identical to the pre stage of the SVT II-pro; 5 valves altogether and if the graphic EQ is switched out there's no solid-state circuitry in the signal path at all. I always check the reviews in "Harmony Central" when potentially buying gear - take a look. Variable "drive" control is lush, used sparingly adds a nice harmonic warmth, or if unsubtly up to full dirt. Should work with any decent rack power amp, really - I use the SVT-300 (power stage of the SVT-II) just because I'm a bit of a valve purist but never really push it hard enough to make a difference; all the tone / EQ colouration should come from the pre.

Its a beautiful preamp.
It can do subtle, lush, full tone.... and then tear the face off the audience with a quick twiddle of the drive knob. I moved from an SVT4 to the SVP and find it far more flexible, and with bigger tone. (and about 5 stone lighter)

In short.... its the mutts nuts.

I run it into a studiomaster poweramp, because thats what i had lying around, and for gigs I run to the PA anyway, with no backline. Some fellow Basschatters have run them into the lightweight Crown series, and of course the QSC range.

Its a great amp and you won't regret it. Being able to carry the tone of an SVT around in a super-lightweight rack (shallow 2u with a tuner is all you need) is such a brilliant thing

I run mine with a QSX PLX1202 and have no problems with it. I've also got no noise problems (again, only tried it live myself), though mine apparently has quieter valves in it than the stock ones, so maybe my view on it isn't the best one if you're looking at a stock SVP.

I may return to a valve head at some point though, so I don't know if I'll hang onto my SVP past that. Good bit of kit though, so might keep it for when a more lightweight amp is needed :)

[quote name='mxm' post='273948' date='Aug 31 2008, 06:46 PM']+1 for Shaggy and the SVT300 power amp - it's the business ![/quote]
Shw'mae fella!
You would say that, you used to have one uncannily just like it! It's a beast alright. What's the mighty Ferrari badge adorning these days? :)
Re the noise; I'd read the same thing although mine is really quiet, problem was occasionally the stock valves I think. Also as with all Ampeg gear, worth looking for the older US-made ones if only for resale value (although the valve gear still may be, not sure).

Edited by Shaggy