Why become a member? ×

Have I bitten off more that I can chew?

phil_the_bassist

I play gigs without a drummer all the time. I find it helps to approach the songs with a 'camp fire' type mentality i.e. how would you play them if you were just sitting and jamming round a fire?

Slowing things down a bit will help as will persuading your guitarist not to use all the effects and gubbins he normally uses. If possible have him play an acoustic as it'll slow him down a bit and encourage a more stripped back and rhythmic playing style.

Finally, don't feel you have to play the songs the way you normally play them; open up, relax and have a bit of fun - I reckon an acoustic Sweet Child would suit a gentle swing beat.....

Dave

My 'new' project is dedicated to just what you are doing. I've grown jaded with the whole; loud, full-on rock band thing and I've taken many of the songs that I used to do and broken them down so that they can be played with a guitar/bass/vocal approach... though we are cheating a bit by using a pair of loopers :huh:

Saying all of that I have come back around to the idea of a drummer playing along with this more 'acoustic' laid back approach... probably going to end up back as a loud full-on rock thing :)

Our set as is (in no particular order):

Rock Star/Photograph
Chelsea Dagger
Mrs Robinson
The Story
Let Her Cry
Dream Catch Me
Learn to Fly
Stop & Stare
This is the Life
The whole of the moon
Walk this way
Hanging by a moment
Sidewinder sleeps
She called up
Games people play
Place your hands on
Black Horse & cherry tree
Throw the curtains wide
Sympathy for the devil
Time of your life
Shine
Pour some sugar on me
With or Without you
Save tonight
Mercy
People are strange

I'm in a slightly similar situation here - drummer from my band also plays in a traditional celtic/folky band. Quite an interesting setup - guitarist/vocalist, a multi-instrumentalist who plays mandolin, banjo, bouzouki, bodhran & whistle (not at the same time!) and our drummist Mark on his electronic kit.

I recorded a demo for them in the spring & ended up putting bass on a few of the songs where it was appropriate - and now they've asked if I'll "stand in" for Mark, while he's away on honeymoon in September & October! How the hell does a bassist stand in for a very versatile drummer playing an electronic kit? Add this to the 56-song set list they've handed me, and panic is just a breath away... :)

Seriously, I honestly don't know what bass will add to their music with no drums - but it will be interesting, I hope. And if not, I'll be getting paid anyway... :huh:

Jon.

morning all! Just thought I'd give you an update on how it went...

IT WAS BRILLIANT!

Much to my initial chagrin, the rest of the lads weren't up for chillin the set out, but it worked really well. I had to REALLY pulse the beat to keep everyone in check, but we had a great laugh, the crowd were behind us, and the management's pockets are significantly fuller now!

We were a bit shaky for the first 3/4 songs, but we all started listening, paying attention to what's goin on, it was definately a musical workout, and truly knackering!

We were pulling in a helluvalot of punters off the streets (probably for the novelty factor) but they were all staying (and drinking :huh:) and cos we were that much quieter they were crammed up close to the stage :huh: Also, during the interval we had one of our regular followers come up and ask "what was different? something sounds different, but I cant work it out!" but that just shows how much she pays attention usually then!

Thanks for the words of support, I only hope Sarah5String's gig went as well, if not better!

[size=1]

ooh, just a little side note I got drunk enough (on free beer :) ) to join in on some BV's (which i used to be famously bad for) and I actually hit all the notes I was aiming, WHILST keeping in time! WOoHOo! now considering officially increasing my repertoire from "bassist" to "bassist with BVs" :huh:[/size]