Why become a member? ×

Fuzz at a reasonable volume?

IBWT

Hi there.

I've tried a few fuzz boxes over the years and one thing that really bothers me about most of them is the big jump in volume they all have when engaged. For me a pedal that I have to set at 7 o'clock to get unity volume with the clean signal it's a no-no.

I remember trying so far: EHX Whoolly Mammoth, Malekko B:Assmaster & Diabolik, JHS 4 Wheeler, some Devi Ever stuff (volume is always crazy in those), WH Swollen Pickle, Fuzzrocious Grey Stache, Death By Audio Fuzz War.

Is there any fuzz with a reasonable volume control out there? I'm looking for a synthy sound (e.g. Diabolik).

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='IBWT' timestamp='1434274086' post='2798138']
Hi there.

I've tried a few fuzz boxes over the years and one thing that really bothers me about most of them is the big jump in volume they all have when engaged. For me a pedal that I have to set at 7 o'clock to get unity volume with the clean signal it's a no-no.
[/quote]

Isnt that the whole point of having the volume control - why does it bother you where it is set?. A fuzz/distortion circuit needs to have lots of internal gain in order to drive the signal into clipping to get the required sound so some post-clipping attenuation will always be required and it doesnt much matter whether that attenuation is hard wired in the design or variable by a volume control. It makes complete sense from a pedal design point of view to ensure that most of the volume control range is greater than unity gain for the effected signal since almost noone is going to want an effected signal quieter than the dry one.

Edited by bassman7755

I don't mind having a volume boost, but I can't cope with ALL the volume knob being a boost. A fuzz is a highly compressed sound, so even if the volume is attenuated, the loudness and perceived volume are much higher than the clean signal. It's the lack of headroom what bothers me, and the fact that if I have my volume on the bass rolled down a bit I can't have the fuzz at that same volume, because the compression will make it almost as loud as with the bass at full volume, and that's a pretty common situation for me.

Also when I said unity is at 7 that doesn't mean the most gain of the pedal has unity volume at 7. Usually the pedals I've tried have a very low unity volume setting at roughly half of the gain, so full gain means it's impossible to get the same volume as the clean signal.

The only fuzz I've found so far that handles volume nicely is the EHX Bass Bif Muff but it's not the kind of synthy sound I'm looking for at the moment.

Edited by IBWT

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='IBWT' timestamp='1434281840' post='2798241']
I don't mind having a volume boost, but I can't cope with ALL the volume knob being a boost. A fuzz is a highly compressed sound, so even if the volume is attenuated, the loudness and perceived volume are much higher than the clean signal. It's the lack of headroom what bothers me, and the fact that if I have my volume on the bass rolled down a bit I can't have the fuzz at that same volume, because the compression will make it almost as loud as with the bass at full volume, and that's a pretty common situation for me.

Also when I said unity is at 7 that doesn't mean the most gain of the pedal has unity volume at 7. Usually the pedals I've tried have a very low unity volume setting at roughly half of the gain, so full gain means it's impossible to get the same volume as the clean signal.

The only fuzz I've found so far that handles volume nicely is the EHX Bass Bif Muff but it's not the kind of synthy sound I'm looking for at the moment.
[/quote]

With any fuzz/distortion effect, reducing the input signal level is going to lower the apparent level of the dry signal relative to the effected one, theres no way around that (for the reasons you already stated). Its always going to be best to have the hottest possible signal going into the unit and regulate overall volume afterwards.

Might be worth looking at something like the zoom b3 / boss me 20 / digitech bp355 where you could have 3 patches with totally different sound and levels on tap, also the latter 2 have an expression pedal which you could assign to volume for even more control.

Edited by bassman7755

The volume control oh the Diabolik is ridiculous, unity gain is just above the knob's minimum position. I'm not fussed about the position so much but more the fact that it's so sensitive around this spot and very tricky to dial in - the tiniest movement is the difference between not loud enough and too loud!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1